Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Inner Wheelhouse Rust

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Inner Wheelhouse Rust

I'm in the process of getting my fbody back to being road worthy after getting a GTO and letting it sit for a year and a half. While I'm redoing the suspension I noticed some big cracks in the inner wheelhouse so I poked at it with a screwdriver and this is what I found.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

What are my options from here? and about how much would it cost to repair this? The drivers side looks fine.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're not doing it yourself, it won't be cheap.

Really there are 2 options.

1) Replace the entire wheel tub with a replacement unit; this is going to cost the most.

2) Cut out the rust and weld in a patch panel. This is going to be the cheaper way to go.

Best bet is take it to a shop and have them give you a quote; but if you feel comfortable and want to save some $$, tell them you will pull the interior out of the car and deliver it with just the drivers seat installed so it can be driven. This will save some time and $$ that the shop doesn't have to do.

If you do the interior remove and re-install; and just want them to patch the hole, grind the welds smooth, and re-undercoat it (meaning they don't have to paint match the area), you're probably talking a few hundred dollars. If they have to paint match it or you want them to, probably closer to 500-1000.

New wheel tub is going to be the most $$. And if you're going that far, you might as well do aftermarket tubs on both sides so you can fit a much larger tire... but that gets into a whole different game.