Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Hit a F***ing deer, not to bad

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hit a F***ing deer, not to bad

So driving to town tonight to get dinner I see a deer on the side of the road so I slam on my brakes (which is a good thing), the deer jumps in front of me and I clip the back side of the deer with the driver front corner so I pull over to inspect the damage before driving the rest of the way to town but don't notice anything other then a few hairs on the bumper, then when I get to town and turn off the headlights, thats when I see it, this gap between the headlight lid and the fender/bumper.

I know I can close some of this by lowering that corner of the lid (which it needs in order to follow the line of the hood anyway) but is there a bracket holding this corner of the fender/bumper I can just bend back into place or are we talking frame rail work here, I've yet to have my bumper off so I'm not totally familiar with how this area is mounted.

I'll get better pics in the daylight tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Hit a F***ing deer, not to bad-img_20140330_212034_647.jpg   Hit a F***ing deer, not to bad-img_20140330_212044_892.jpg   Hit a F***ing deer, not to bad-img_20140330_212128_637.jpg   Hit a F***ing deer, not to bad-img_20140330_212136_829.jpg   Hit a F***ing deer, not to bad-img_20140330_212145_324.jpg  

Old 03-31-2014, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
So driving to town tonight to get dinner I see a deer on the side of the road so I slam on my brakes (which is a good thing), the deer jumps in front of me and I clip the back side of the deer with the driver front corner so I pull over to inspect the damage before driving the rest of the way to town but don't notice anything other then a few hairs on the bumper, then when I get to town and turn off the headlights, thats when I see it, this gap between the headlight lid and the fender/bumper.

I know I can close some of this by lowering that corner of the lid (which it needs in order to follow the line of the hood anyway) but is there a bracket holding this corner of the fender/bumper I can just bend back into place or are we talking frame rail work here, I've yet to have my bumper off so I'm not totally familiar with how this area is mounted.

I'll get better pics in the daylight tomorrow.
The metal part of the headlight cover is held on to the headlight assembly by some screws. They may have been shoved around when you hit the deer. Turn your headlights on so the lights pop up and you should see where the screws are, they are pretty easy to get to and adjust.

**EDIT** - I forgot to mention that you will need to remove the plastic surround trim piece from the headlight assembly to see the adjustment screws for the headlight cover. It's not too difficult to get the plastic trim off, you'll see where the screws are.

Last edited by TechCam97; 03-31-2014 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TechCam97
The metal part of the headlight cover is held on to the headlight assembly by some screws. They may have been shoved around when you hit the deer. Turn your headlights on so the lights pop up and you should see where the screws are, they are pretty easy to get to and adjust.

**EDIT** - I forgot to mention that you will need to remove the plastic surround trim piece from the headlight assembly to see the adjustment screws for the headlight cover. It's not too difficult to get the plastic trim off, you'll see where the screws are.
yeah, I went out after making this thread late last night and made that adjustment, I pushed that corner of the headlight cover as far down as it could go (which got it to match the flow of the hood) but there is still about a 1/4" more gap then there should be.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
yeah, I went out after making this thread late last night and made that adjustment, I pushed that corner of the headlight cover as far down as it could go (which got it to match the flow of the hood) but there is still about a 1/4" more gap then there should be.
You hit a f***ing deer what do you expect? Get her fixed up. Insurance may even cover it
Old 03-31-2014, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by z28SSilvest
You hit a f***ing deer what do you expect? Get her fixed up. Insurance may even cover it
I don't see a point in filing a claim, being none of the body panels got damaged, it looks like there is a bracket back there (but I'm not sure, which is why I started this thread), why would I pay 100's to have a shop do something I could potentially do myself (if it is a bracket), my deductible is like 500 bucks and reporting it to the insurance would likely mean a future rate increase, plus I have comprehensive but not collision and my insurance company would probably try to call it a collision like they did about 5 years ago when I came around a blind curve and hit a tree that had fallen in the road (basically it was collision since the tree was in the road, if the tree had fallen on the car then it would have been covered), insurance companies love to find loop holes so they don't have to pay.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

OK, here are some daytime pics with the headlight cover adjusted properly, it's hard to tell in the pics but the bumper to cover gap is twice as tall under the PONTIAC lettering as it is at the inside of the light.

So, looks like I'll be yanking the bumper this weekend (need to do it anyway for other things) and looking at bending a few things back into spec, I know some people wouldn't bother but it bugs me knowing it's not straight.
Attached Thumbnails Hit a F***ing deer, not to bad-img_20140331_150842_124.jpg   Hit a F***ing deer, not to bad-img_20140331_150851_888.jpg   Hit a F***ing deer, not to bad-img_20140331_150907_209.jpg  
Old 03-31-2014, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

i have a somehwat similar situation on the passenger side of my car. Someone told me that there is a bracket under the fender. If you remove the plastic wheel well fender you might be able to see the bracket and move it.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 96z28_lt1
i have a somehwat similar situation on the passenger side of my car. Someone told me that there is a bracket under the fender. If you remove the plastic wheel well fender you might be able to see the bracket and move it.
I know there is one bracket that stretches out and determines how far the front bottom of the fender/ top corner of the bumper sits out from the frame, as I've read about it on here bending and causing the that area to bow inward and will be addressing that issue while I work on this.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

yeah that is the one someone told me about, my passenger side has been in an accident the previous owner neglected to tell me and now that i own the car and have gone over it i noticed the fender bows out, so im going to be trying that on mine.

Quick Reply: Hit a F***ing deer, not to bad