Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Clear Coat WS6 Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 08:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Coat WS6 Wheels

Hi all. The clear on my OEM WS6 wheels has started to chip off. I want to strip the rest of the clear off, polish them, and then re-clear them. Does anyone know what the paint process is and what type of clear I should use for this?
Old 04-03-2014, 11:43 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A lot of people just leave them polished after stripping the clear. They need cleaned more often being bare aluminum, but you will never have to deal with the situation you have now or the wheels looking duller over time as the clear gets beat up.

If you do want to re-clear them, you can find some good automotive clear in a can for about $20/can and you will need a good adhesion promoter since the wheels will be smooth.

Duplicolor has their own wheel paints as well and the clear is decent, not as good as the $20/can stuff, but pretty damn good for $8/can.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Great, thanks for the tip! Any suggestions for a good adhesion promoter? Or just the Duplicolor stuff?

Last edited by cjb6970; 04-03-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Any clear in a can is crap. If you want to re clear them and have spray gun then spray with automotive standard clear by DuPont PPG etch. Polish wheels then wipe them down with wax remover degreaser and spray according to clear mfgr recomendations
Old 04-07-2014, 03:26 PM
Teching In

If I can get my hands on a spray gun, that's what I'm going to do.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd just strip off all the existing clear coat, polish them to perfection and apply a couple thin coats of a good wax. Aircraft stripper will remove the clear coat.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:42 PM
Teching In

How long do they stay nice before you have to repolish them to perfection again? If it's once a month or something I'm fine with that. But, I daily the car in the summer and I don't want to have to repolish all my wheels every time I wash it or it rains outside.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cjb6970
How long do they stay nice before you have to repolish them to perfection again? If it's once a month or something I'm fine with that. But, I daily the car in the summer and I don't want to have to repolish all my wheels every time I wash it or it rains outside.
A good wax will repel dirt, dust, water, etc. so I'd say that you could get by with not polishing them for a month, maybe more depending on weather. When I had my fully polished CCW's, I always applied wax to them after doing a 2 stage polish and it worked very well in between polishes. With that said, the upkeep of a fully polished wheel, even when you've waxed it, is far more detailed than a clear coated wheel, but in my opinion, nothing looks better than a fully polished wheel.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
A good wax will repel dirt, dust, water, etc. so I'd say that you could get by with not polishing them for a month, maybe more depending on weather. When I had my fully polished CCW's, I always applied wax to them after doing a 2 stage polish and it worked very well in between polishes. With that said, the upkeep of a fully polished wheel, even when you've waxed it, is far more detailed than a clear coated wheel, but in my opinion, nothing looks better than a fully polished wheel.
I think I'll give it a shot. Worst case scenario is they don't stay nice for as long as I want, in which case I'll clear them. Best case is they look as nice as they possibly can and stay that way. Thanks for the input everyone!

Quick Reply: Clear Coat WS6 Wheels