Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Prepping LS1 intake manifold for paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Prepping LS1 intake manifold for paint

To start I have researched this topic. Threads all speak of How to paint, and no threads I have found satisfy prep concerns.

But nobody has discussed what is preferred to the initial prep work on the plastic/nylon intake manifold. My questions are
1. Are all degreasers safe for the intake plastic/nylon material?
2. Tips/ tricks for cleaning the nooks at the base of the intake runners please

I already used Totally Awesome + a hand cleaner brush to degrease the intake and the nooks are still FILTHY. I am concerned that the loose dirt will cause the paint to lift and peel prematurely. Do you have special tricks to clean the nooks out? I have access to a sandblaster but after blasting my valve covers I am leery of loose sand getting past taped off openings. I do have klean-strip prepall aerosol to wipe it down with after sanding.

Originally Posted by IDSTAR2
Since I paint cars for a living, here is what I did.

1. cleaned intake from all oil, dirt or whatever is on it.
2. used wax/grease remover to get rid of any residue that was left behind from whatever chemical you used to clean with.
3. sprayed 2 layers of adhesion promoter
4. waited 15 mins to dry, then sprayed base coat.
5. waited another 15 to dry then sprayed clear coat.
6. waited 8 hours before I installed it. then, you sir, are finished.

Now I could have sprayed primer if I wanted it to be a flawless smooth finish (if so, wait at least an hour before you sand the primer before you spray the base coat) but I didnt see myself putting that much effort into it this time around. I really liked how it turned out. Hope all goes well!
BTW This is the most concise how to paint answer I find. Note: also sand with 200&600 grit then use filler primer and wetsand for perfect finish.

Quick Reply: Prepping LS1 intake manifold for paint