Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

What primer to use over om paint?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 06:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What primer to use over om paint?

I got a 1987 rx7 that is in the middle of getting some real ls power and while I'm buttoning up my 5.3t I'm going to paint it. I have some experience with painting and have all my equipment from my last build so no problem there, but I am confused with all the products out there what will be best for my situation.
For a 26 yr old car it is dam near perfect with only minor flaws in the top coat and no dents or dings. So I've been told that I don't need to get it all off and should just get it smooth and prime over that then do color.
So what would be the best primer to go over factory paint

I think I'm going to use enamel for the color but haven't decided exactly what I'll use yet.

What primer and is there a combo of primer and type of paint that is usually best for going over oem? Thanks for any input you guys have
Old 06-14-2014, 08:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's nothing wrong with using the OE paint as a substrate, provided it's in good shape. Just wet sand it with 600 wet for use under base or 400 wet under single stage. If you're stuck on primering it, I'd 180 (max coarseness) dry it and primer with a 2k primer of your choice. There's no specific primer for OE paint. Really it's all in the prep work you do.

Quick Reply: What primer to use over om paint?