Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Recommend Primer???

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommend Primer???

Ok guys, I've had this White 98 WS6 for a while that I picked up cheap ($2800 No Problems Except for It was Multicolored due to Replacement parts from a Red T/A ) I've had it sitting for over a year and I plan on doing a Compelet OEM Restoration ( I'm more of an OEM Kinda Guy)

Anyways I have the Rear Bumper off and its already been Preped correctly ( I Hope). Cleaned, Sanded Down, Cleaned Again, Adhesion Promoter, SEM Flex Primer, Sand Again, Clean Again, A little bit of Filler Primer in tiny areas, Little Sand, Little Clean, Primed it with Rusto Auto Primer, Sanded Baby Butt Smooth, and Finally Cleaned with Water and little Soap.

My question is if my Rear Bumper is ready for Actual Auto Paint, or Does it still need to Be Primed with a Better type of Primer? I plan on buying a cheap Harbor freight Spray Gun for Future Project also. In the end I plan on having the car fully preped and paying $800 or so for a Maaco Paint Job cus I don't see myself handing over $5000+ for a Paint Job.

If anybody gots any tips or advice, that be Grate. Thank You for your time.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:29 AM
Teching In

Bump... Please Guys any advice would be useful.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:31 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also in the middle of painting one. 97 Z28, but if your just painting the rear bumper yourself go to nappa and ask them for a can or two of flexible parts primer. It lays very smooth and you can lay your base coat right over it. If you have it sanded down to the bare rubber you need to use some type of adhesion promoter. For the rear 1/4 panels and rockers (metal parts) you should use etching primer if you have a lot of bare metal spots. Anything fiberglass I like to use a sealer primer, but anything should work. If your feeling up to it you can cover the etching primer with sealer primer. Why don't you want to paint the car yourself? All the prep/body work is the hard part. Well I hate masking stuff off almost as much, but the actual painting is the fun part. Its not hard if you know how to set your spray gun up. Its pretty easy too if you know what to look for.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jcl_96TA
I'm also in the middle of painting one. 97 Z28, but if your just painting the rear bumper yourself go to nappa and ask them for a can or two of flexible parts primer. It lays very smooth and you can lay your base coat right over it. If you have it sanded down to the bare rubber you need to use some type of adhesion promoter. For the rear 1/4 panels and rockers (metal parts) you should use etching primer if you have a lot of bare metal spots. Anything fiberglass I like to use a sealer primer, but anything should work. If your feeling up to it you can cover the etching primer with sealer primer. Why don't you want to paint the car yourself? All the prep/body work is the hard part. Well I hate masking stuff off almost as much, but the actual painting is the fun part. Its not hard if you know how to set your spray gun up. Its pretty easy too if you know what to look for.
Hay Jcl_96TA thanks for advice. Yeah I've been debating whether to Paint it ma self. I probably will just for a little bit of Bragging rights :-D. I will definitely look into the Etching and Sealer Primer. Thank You.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:13 AM
Launching!

Just go to the paint store they will probably recommend a urethane primer. BTW most primers can be used as an etching and a sealer, it all depends on the mix ratio.

Quick Reply: Recommend Primer???