Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Need help on how to fill rocker panel holes

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 11:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need help on how to fill rocker panel holes

I converted my trans am to a formula. I need to fill the holes in the rocker panel. I have a welder and body filler both in my garage, I just need some directions from someone that knows more than me.

Thanks
Old 10-11-2014, 01:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Depends on the size of the holes, If they are bigger than a dime you can cut some small pieces of sheet metal the same size as the hole and make a series of tack welds to weld in without getting it to hot and warping the panel.
If they are smaller you can do plug welds. There are tons of how to videos on you-tube.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:44 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks. I wish I could do plug welds, but I cannot reach around the back side of the panel.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:15 PM
Staging Lane

ABS epoxy on the fenders. You will want to add a little reinforcement to the back (mesh) which can be accessed by removing the fender well liner. Epoxy, sand, filler, sand, etc. For the holes in the rocker I would grind around them to expose metal and weld in similar sized bolts as filler. Hold the bolt about 1/8 deep into the hole, tack weld it in place, weld lightly around it, cut off excess with cutoff wheel then grind smooth. Filler, primer, etc. From there. With a panel that small and strong warping shouldn't be much of an issue, but plan on using body filler of ccourse
Old 10-13-2014, 05:44 PM
9 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've used pennies from behind and filled in with mig wire for small holes. the mig wire wont stick to the penny. If access from behind isn't possible, drill a small hole in the penny, put a small bolt through it with nuts on both ends but somewhat loose, cut a small slot horizontally in the rocker just enough to pop the penny in, pull back on the bolt, and start welding
Old 10-13-2014, 05:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

or use this method with a washer, that way it will take up more space and also become part of the weld...
Old 10-15-2014, 08:20 PM
9 Second Club

Thank you very much for all the help. I am going to get started on trying to figure this out. If anyone else has anything that they would like to contribute, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Need help on how to fill rocker panel holes