Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

trans am rear end on formy/v6 body

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default trans am rear end on formy/v6 body

Has anyone ever heard of or seen anyone take a factory trans am rear bumper and somehow curl the flare out on the sides up under the car so it matches the body on a formula or v6 body? Opinions?
Old 11-25-2014, 12:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude the parts are a straight swap, it's not till you add the side skirts that you need to flare out the base front bumper outer edges, if you do anything at all. nothing looks out of place as my car sits right now.
Attached Thumbnails trans am rear end on formy/v6 body-0920141654a.jpg   trans am rear end on formy/v6 body-0920141655.jpg  
Old 11-25-2014, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

I'm saying the trans am REAR bumper has that curl outwards to match up with the trans am side skirts and the formulas and v6 bodies don't have that outwards curl on the sides so if you put a trans am REAR bumper on a stock formula or v6 the rear bumper prolly wouldn't line up with the side of the car cause the formy/v6 sides curl in
Old 11-25-2014, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

I really like that hood btw...should be getting my high rise painted and put on either by the end of the year or first of next year to...and your car really doesn't look that bad I've definitely seen worse driving around my town
Old 11-25-2014, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The trans am bumper looks fine on the back of a formula. I personally know. You don't need the side skirts.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:21 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah it doesn't look too out of place IMO either. Nobody but an F body nut would even notice.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 00birdls1
I'm saying the trans am REAR bumper has that curl outwards to match up with the trans am side skirts and the formulas and v6 bodies don't have that outwards curl on the sides so if you put a trans am REAR bumper on a stock formula or v6 the rear bumper prolly wouldn't line up with the side of the car cause the formy/v6 sides curl in
Well if you want the ROCKER PANELS (thats the proper name of the panel below the door) to "curl out" then you just add the T/A side skirts, personally it looks just fine as it sits, that is the reason I posted my pictures, I have a set of side skirts I have yet to install, once you do the side skirts it makes the formy/v6 front bumper look a little off because it's edges don't flare out, but that could be solved with the v6 w68 front bumper flares, if you can find an intact set for less then the price of a T/A front bumper.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 00birdls1
I really like that hood btw...should be getting my high rise painted and put on either by the end of the year or first of next year to...and your car really doesn't look that bad I've definitely seen worse driving around my town
the rear bumper is blue and the rear hatch/wing is red so I went over the back half of the car with black plasti-dip to hide that till I can put the money into paint, right now i'm putting all my money toward saving up for a house. I like the way it looks personally, well aside from those damn ugly Hooker exhaust tips that I already have a better set just needing to get installed.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

I'm talking about taking the flare out around the bottom of a trans am rear bumper all together and making it have a base rear bumper shape with the trans am style exhaust cut outs
Old 11-25-2014, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

Like that...just excuse my shitty hand writing and my shitty drawing
Old 11-25-2014, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Have fun with that....I'm in for pics if it happens
Old 11-25-2014, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

then NO, no one destroys a T/A rear bumper like that (they aren't that easy or cheap to find), way to much work for a half and half bumper design, just not worth the work it flows fine as it sits. You would need to cut out the exhaust section of a T/A bumper and mold it into the base bumper, and then modify the lower edges just outside of the exhaust cutouts because even the inside of the "lip" (where people stop the CETA mod at) has the flare.

Quick Reply: trans am rear end on formy/v6 body