Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Pizza Boy Destroys my Door. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pizza Boy Destroys my Door. Suggestions?

Hello everyone,

I got involved in a car accident on Easter Sunday. I had just parked my car, when a pizza delivery boy here in Monterey CA hits my open open moments before I begin exiting my car. I'm driving an 02 bird by the way. My door is pretty much destroyed, although the glass seems intact. The door however, has been bent out of shape, the interior and exterior panels came apart but there appears to be no frame damage (see pictures).

I filed a claim with pizza boys insurance, hoping they'll cover the repair as it was their fault. I haven't heard anything from their insurance yet, but the pizza guy was really young and very apologetic. I already told them my version and since I had a friend as a witness, hope that will serve in my favor.

Im a college student living off of loans, so the thought of having to cover this damage myself is harrowing.

I got a few rough estimates over the phone ranging in the $1900-$2000 + range.

Any suggestions for getting a replacement door, or whether this is a repair worth pursuing are appreciated.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

get good quotes in person and take those to the insurance company, get them to cut you a check for that, then hit up craigslist for a door (usually can be gotten in the 40-100 range for a used door) and install it yourself then pay a body shop to paint it to match and pocket the remaining money. Maybe you could get lucky and find a used door in the same color and save that money too.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:12 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I'm not familiar with CA specific laws, but it appears you were parked on public street, and opened your door onto traffic? If so, I wouldn't expect his insurance to cover this unless CA law puts liability on the moving vehicle rather than the parked one. In my state, if you open your door onto moving traffic while parked on the street, YOU are at fault.

I just wanted to point this out in case you aren't 100% sure about your state laws and are counting on his insurance money. They might not be liable for any of it.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

try to get them to pay for it. if not go to your local pic'n'pul type yard and get yourself a door. if you go that route, get the complete door, all except the inside door panel as it's just not worth changing all the guts out and messing with it.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like the others said it's not worth fixing. Buy a new door. If you have to drive a little further or spend a little more to get one in the right color, it's probably worth it. Paint work is horribly expensive.

ETA: I'll add, save the piece of your old door with the RPO sheet sticker since it's intact.

Last edited by Double-aught_Z/28; 04-10-2015 at 12:41 AM.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I'm not familiar with CA specific laws, but it appears you were parked on public street, and opened your door onto traffic? If so, I wouldn't expect his insurance to cover this unless CA law puts liability on the moving vehicle rather than the parked one. In my state, if you open your door onto moving traffic while parked on the street, YOU are at fault.

I just wanted to point this out in case you aren't 100% sure about your state laws and are counting on his insurance money. They might not be liable for any of it.
True. I've seen it in writing in the code book of ordinances. City and state. But can't hurt to try to make them pony up for it.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 383 Posts

I'll be in jail!!
Old 04-10-2015, 01:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Double-aught_Z/28
ETA: I'll add, save the piece of your old door with the RPO sheet sticker since it's intact.
and the keyed lock mechanism, so it can go in the new door so your door key still works.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd say that was your fault for opening your door into traffic. But hey, if they'll cover it, I'd take the money. Just buy another door. Like others said, remove the components from the old door and keep them (lock cylinder, glass, window motor, etc).

Quick Reply: Pizza Boy Destroys my Door. Suggestions?