Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Rear hatch rust please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear hatch rust please help!

So I can fix this but how or what is the cure? It seems like it just pools there. Im pretty sure its from the outside and not leaking from the inside but I'd like to confirm.

The weatherstripping is fine. Now the plastic edge of the glass has in fact unglued and I may have lost the little corner bits that belong there. I dont believe thats the cause though because I saw this forming before that unglued. But unsure.

Where is this water supposed to go?

Any suggestions welcomed. Id like to do it right and do it once. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails Rear hatch rust please help!-20160105_124804.jpg   Rear hatch rust please help!-20160105_124816.jpg   Rear hatch rust please help!-20160105_124859.jpg  
Old 01-06-2016, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anybody??

No one else is having this problem? You're just drying it every chance you get? What about when it rains and you forget to dry it? Is it supposed to pool?

Or is it supposed to work its way further back and roll down...if so will it rust that area out?
Old 01-06-2016, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

There is a drain hole at the back on both sides by the plastic piece. As far as I have noticed, I have never had water pool up in my hatch sides.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this issue at one time and ended up being the area where the bumper mounts to the back was leaking past the studs.

Pour water down the sides along the hatch and pull the back carpet covering the taillights and see where the water is getting in from
Old 01-07-2016, 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

can't tell from the pictures but a tip is to park the car with the front pointing uphill if possible, if parked pointing downhill the slope of the panel may not be enough for the water to flow to the back of the car like how it's supposed to which causes water to pool in that area, usually resulting in a flooded trunk when it rains hard enough.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by saltwatercowboy6355
I had this issue at one time and ended up being the area where the bumper mounts to the back was leaking past the studs.

Pour water down the sides along the hatch and pull the back carpet covering the taillights and see where the water is getting in from
I want to spend some time on it tomorrow. What do you mean? the water traveled upward then? cuz this part of the window isnt the back panel its the sides. you know by the rear quarters

Quick Reply: Rear hatch rust please help!