Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Recommendation for smallest spray gun that can spray acrylic urethane

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Recommendation for smallest spray gun that can spray acrylic urethane

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for the smallest spray gun than can shoot acrylic urethane without thinning it drastically.

My car has 44k and never seen a winter but sits outside in the summer, so it get some moisture from the pavement and add road rash from all those miles and the thin floor paint starts getting some orange specs starting to appear. I did the cowl when I pulled the motor this summer, and the trains tunnel and above the tank is mint. I honey coated all seams and inside all braces as best that I can. Just want to clean up the rest of the exposed floor without pulling the drivetrain, ( will remove exhaust). I will probly blast the small section above the welded in subframe connectors, use acid to clean any pits, then metal prep, prime and paint. But with all of these small spots, they take time and I am very busy, so small sections will be done at a time.

Car sits outside so I cannot do it all at once, just want to fix this really early before it would get out of hand and then later down the road when I completely pull the car apart and have it on a lift or rotisserie and use regular paint guns. I have multiple large binks gun and pot for spraying panels and full cars. I am no professional, just a backyard painter for my own projects, so I don't know what is good. Just the smallest gun that is able to spray this paint. Summit sells some, but not sure what would be good. Any suggestions on a touch up gun?

Thank you,

-mark jr.

Last thing I painted:
Name:  9inch026.jpg
Views: 2167
Size:  125.1 KB

Last edited by BlackDuk98; 01-20-2016 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Summit sells a cheapo detail gun for $30. I've used it, works pretty good for the money. It has a 0.8 tip, which eaquals about a 1.3 tip in a larger gun. I've shot base a clear thru it no problem. If you are looking to spend more money, I like the Warwick 878she detail gun, it is available with larger tip options for thicker paints, runs about $120. You have to order that one online from Johnson Autobody supply.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:43 PM
TECH Resident

Thank you for the recommendation on the guns, the price difference is not a big deal, it comes down to which is able to spray ppg primer. This gun will be used for small sections in tight places since I have multiple Binks guns for panels.

I think that I talked with you years ago about painting something since you were local. Thanks again
Old 01-27-2016, 04:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would go with the warwick gun if money isn't an issue. There are different tip sizes available. If you haven't purchased your paint yet, I suggest giving SPI a try. Far superior. Google "SPI".
Old 01-27-2016, 11:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Quick Ranger
I would go with the warwick gun if money isn't an issue. There are different tip sizes available. If you haven't purchased your paint yet, I suggest giving SPI a try. Far superior. Google "SPI".
I will check SPI for sure. Unfortunately I purchased my paint last year, I was soposed to paint it then but had multiple engine problems that set me back the entire summer. This is the year for detail, paint, preservation. And hopefully paint some panels that the clear is peeling from and a hood if it ever arrives.

The paint that I do have is Shopline, a PPG owned company I think. I will see if SPI has primer since I did not purchase that yet. Usually have used dp90

Thanks again

-mark jr.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

I was thinking some more on it and I have some tight spaces above subframe connectors were a top cup gravity feed gun can't work. I would be hitting the floor and not be able to get the gun at the right angles to access those spots. Something of this design may work, allows me to be almost parallel with the floor

Old 01-28-2016, 04:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you want to spray upside down, get the Devilbiss DeKups system, works great. I haven't used the cups that come with guns in years. Clean up time is quick as hell, not washing out cups all day.
The PPG shopline primer is ok, I've used it. The SPI will spray much smoother, and is usually cheaper as well. SPI makes a killer epoxy primer. They also make several sandable primers.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:12 PM
TECH Resident

I will check this SPI for primer since I don't have my own and don't want to take dp90 from my bro.

I would go for the dekup setup if I was painting more often. I only get time to paint a few times in the warm months. I am not really painting upside down, I will be able to lay under the car and paint the sections above the subframe connectors, just need to get the gun close to the floor and the top cup would make it a horrible angle.

The kups would be safer than using plastic gloves or bare hands, solvents go right through anything. I am going to have to stick with a bottom cup mini gun since I can only do small sections at a time.

Thank you

-mark jr.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Mark- Any questions you may have, don't hesitate to ak me. You can PM me if you need to for my number, and talk if needed. We are somewhat close in location.
Phil

Quick Reply: Recommendation for smallest spray gun that can spray acrylic urethane