Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How much for sail panel replacement from a donor car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 07:26 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much for sail panel replacement from a donor car?

Hi guys

As the title states, looking for a panel from an LT1 donor car, but I don't know what the going rate is or what I should be expected to pay?
Old 03-21-2016, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

The going rate is $300 - $350 some guys like johnnie in Pennsylvania also paints it the color you need. I took two off donor cars and it took me a good 3 hours of hard labor when I felt like giving up. If I sell one for $300 I feel like it was worth the time and energy. Trans am creations now in Alabama might be able to sell these panels. He hasn't in the past because he thought they all bubbled. I informed him of the years that are and aren't good so hopefully he can start saving the good ones. I did the swap myself and totally worth it.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:53 PM
Launching!

great thx
Old 03-24-2016, 05:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by johnp94
The going rate is $300 - $350 some guys like johnnie in Pennsylvania also paints it the color you need. I took two off donor cars and it took me a good 3 hours of hard labor when I felt like giving up. If I sell one for $300 I feel like it was worth the time and energy. Trans am creations now in Alabama might be able to sell these panels. He hasn't in the past because he thought they all bubbled. I informed him of the years that are and aren't good so hopefully he can start saving the good ones. I did the swap myself and totally worth it.
Whats your procedure for R&Ring one?
Do you have a write up somewhere or recommend one?
I'm interested in trying this myself too.
Thanks
Old 03-25-2016, 12:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

I remove the headliner on donor vehicle to get to the nuts that hold the rear hatch. Disconnect wire to the third break light. The plug is under the plastic attached to the underside of the hatch. Remove one end of each hatch struts. Safer to detach hatcH strut before unbolting but prop it with something that will not move and cause it to fall on you. entire hatch. Remove center ttop bar that is black. It unscrews and also double sided tape under it. Purchase windshield removal kit from harbor freight. Get two so you will have enough wire because it breaks while working. Remove exterior triangles attached to the sail panel with a screw driver by prying them off. Place the wire under the sail panel I sit on the roof of the car and work the wire back and forth.starting from the lower part working up to the top center. It starts off easy but gets tougher as you reach the top corners. By the time your halfway finished you feel like giving up. If you have a helper you can take a break. Took me about three hours by myself. Install is easy. Tape around your quarter panels so you don't scratch the paint. Try to carefully remove the triangle pieces by prying them off. You will reuse these. Take a large flat head screw driver or and slim chisel and just start prying it off. You can use a hammer to punch the screw driver under the panel. It will crumble and brake in pieces. It will get in the car. I vacuumed with a shop vac afterward. Just pull and pry until all is removed. You will see two lines of black sealant. I left it on but I took a scraper razor and scraped half the layer off. I didn't remove all of it. I may have also used a sanding grinding wheel to grind some off but I can't remember. I probably did both, razor and grind. Purchase a window install sealant I forgot the brand and type but it was listed here on ls1tech. It is in a white tube. It is a black product. You can get it from Chevy dealer ship. It looks like autozone advanced auto has a similar product.i don't remember if it was necessary but I also took off the center ttop black bar off my car . Put two rows of window adhesive sealant over the two rows that were there about a quarter inch layer. Does not have to be perfect amount just even throughout. With help align the new sail panel on the roof and adjust by sliding it in any direction if it isn't perfect the first set. It will move not easy but not hard if you need to slide it a little. It will set secure fast and no need to worry about it moving. I did wait till the next day to drive it but it was probably fine the same evening. This is all I can remember. I did this two years ago.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnp94
I bought one from johnnie primed and it was like $850 shipped....
Old 03-25-2016, 03:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by josh4ku
Dude stop the bullshit! Yes I sold you a primered 93-97(LT1) oem sail panel, but there is no way you paid $850 for it! If I remember correctly it was less than $400 shipped and shipping was around a $100. I don't even sell a completely paint panel that's been painted with Dupont paint and clear coated, color sanded and buffed! Here's pictures of the panel as you can see I take great care in building a shipping crate and packing of the panel!
Attached Thumbnails How much for sail panel replacement from a donor car?-dscn2487.jpg   How much for sail panel replacement from a donor car?-001.jpg   How much for sail panel replacement from a donor car?-002.jpg  
Old 03-26-2016, 07:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JOHNNY59
Dude stop the bullshit! Yes I sold you a primered 93-97(LT1) oem sail panel, but there is no way you paid $850 for it! If I remember correctly it was less than $400 shipped and shipping was around a $100. I don't even sell a completely paint panel that's been painted with Dupont paint and clear coated, color sanded and buffed! Here's pictures of the panel as you can see I take great care in building a shipping crate and packing of the panel!
I swear I paid more than that . Why would I sit here and tell people I paid $850 if I remembered I paid $400? Seriously. Maybe if you would have let me know what I paid since you obviously remember we, wouldn't be having this conversation!
Old 03-26-2016, 09:45 PM
11 Second Club

I swear I paid more than that . Why would I sit here and tell people I paid $850 if I remembered I paid $400? Seriously. Maybe if you would have let me know what I paid since you obviously remember we, wouldn't be having this conversation!
WRONG! I did tell you what I sold it to you for in the pm you send me. I keep records of every part I sell, what part, to who, price, shipping cost, date shipped. Like in your first post when you stated it was from a 2001 f-body and was asking $1000 for it. I would never charge anybody $850 for a primed sail panel. I sold it to you for $300+$100 shipping cost=$400. I never called anybody out here on tech as you are the first. Not trying to interfere with your sale, just stating the truth.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

WRONG! I did tell you what I sold it to you for in the pm you send me. I keep records of every part I sell, what part, to who, price, shipping cost, date shipped. Like in your first post when you stated it was from a 2001 f-body and was asking $1000 for it. I would never charge anybody $850 for a primed sail panel. I sold it to you for $300+$100 shipping cost=$400. I never called anybody out here on tech as you are the first. Not trying to interfere with your sale, just stating the truth.

Yeah you did not...
Old 03-26-2016, 11:15 PM
11 Second Club

yes I did, from your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh4ku View Post
Attached Thumbnails
How much for sail panel replacement from a donor car?-dscn2487.jpg How much for sail panel replacement from a donor car?-001.jpg How much for sail panel replacement from a donor car?-002.jpg
JOHNNY59 is offline Report Post Edit/Delete Message
Old 03-27-2016, 08:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not interested in the argument, just some info...

Josh4ku, just post a receipt or something to show what you paid.

JOHNNY59, since you sell these and other parts on a pretty regular basis, can you give the OP and us, a breakdown on how you charge for a panel depending on if its no prep, sanded, painted etc...?
Also, if you don't mind sharing, what procedure do you use to R&R one?

JohnP94, Thanks for the write up. Sounds pretty tough to get one off.
Are there any other ways?
Old 03-27-2016, 09:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 95wannabe
I'm not interested in the argument, just some info...

Josh4ku, just post a receipt or something to show what you paid.

JOHNNY59, since you sell these and other parts on a pretty regular basis, can you give the OP and us, a breakdown on how you charge for a panel depending on if its no prep, sanded, painted etc...?
Also, if you don't mind sharing, what procedure do you use to R&R one?

JohnP94, Thanks for the write up. Sounds pretty tough to get one off.
Are there any other ways?
I don't have the receipt. If I did I wouldn't be having this argument with johnnie, I simply had in my head I paid more and he has just been accusing me of lying on here. I have it for sell I'll take $400 shipped if anyone is interested.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:35 AM
11 Second Club

I don't have the receipt. If I did I wouldn't be having this argument with johnnie, I simply had in my head I paid more and he has just been accusing me of lying on here. I have it for sell I'll take $400 shipped if anyone is interested.
No argument here, just telling what I know. The panel is a 93-97 oem panel completely finished correctly and ready to paint. $400 shipped for this panel is a hell of a deal!
Old 03-27-2016, 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

No argument here, just telling what I know. The panel is a 93-97 oem panel completely finished correctly and ready to paint. $400 shipped for this panel is a hell of a deal!
I agree!
Old 03-27-2016, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

....to answer the OP's original question, I got mine from a Pick-A-Part for $15. Of course I had to remove it myself which was a bitch.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by hiltsy855
....to answer the OP's original question, I got mine from a Pick-A-Part for $15. Of course I had to remove it myself which was a bitch.
finding them and removing without breaking is not easy!!!!
Old 05-06-2016, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What sucks about these is, there's no way to know if the panel is actually from 93-97 car or not..I am NOT saying Johnny is doing this, but it would be easy to do. My 99 SS has 30,000...I am the ONLY owner and I am PISSED. I have thought about going to junk yards and making cutting one off myself. Johnny, where are you located in PA
Old 05-07-2016, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I found a 94 Camaro, to take one off..whats the most efficient way to cut the complete the whole sail panel off, metal and all then remove the glass panel at home?
Old 06-23-2016, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

go to a junkyard and bring a battery powered sawzall (and an extra battery). Bring the whole thing home then take your time removing it.

Name:  IMG951433.JPG_zpsx0dzp7fp.jpg
Views: 3409
Size:  161.0 KB

Quick Reply: How much for sail panel replacement from a donor car?