Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Help, stuck removing ground effects

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help, stuck removing ground effects

I need the site's help. I have the ground effects for my 01 Trans Am about half off but am completely stuck as to how the last clips come loose. Specifically I am stuck at how it attaches to the front fender. It appears to be two "somethings" but I cannot figure it out.

Any thoughts?

(FYI, replacing the side effects with a Wings West set)

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:21 PM
TECH Regular

You have to get behind the fender, what I did was raise the front of the car, put it up on jackstands, remove the wheel, remove the rear half of the fender liner(big black plastic piece covering the entire wheelwell area, look around there is more than a few bolts to remove to fully loosen), its a bitch to get in there, but have a small flashlight and you will see what is attaching that piece to the fender. You'll need a socket wrench, not sure what size I think 11 or 12 mm and maybe a small extension or deep socket. They're not bolts, speed nuts(I think that's what's they're called) are what are holding the ground effect on in the front. Oh and I'm sure you saw them, but there are 1 or 2 plastic pushpins right at the front edge of the ground effects.

Last edited by blue09rocket; 05-22-2016 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks, I was finally able to get them off. Wow what a staggering pain in the ****, blows my mind that GM would even design a set up that is simple clips all the way down then leave two (easily rust-able) screws in a completely inaccessible spot.

Ironically just after this project I had a friend ask for help with the daytime running lights on his 2010 Tahoe. And apparently in current GM wisdom we need to take most of the bumper off to replace a light bulb.

Ugh, well at least they didn't screw up the LS1.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Strider74
Thanks, I was finally able to get them off. Wow what a staggering pain in the ****, blows my mind that GM would even design a set up that is simple clips all the way down then leave two (easily rust-able) screws in a completely inaccessible spot.

Ironically just after this project I had a friend ask for help with the daytime running lights on his 2010 Tahoe. And apparently in current GM wisdom we need to take most of the bumper off to replace a light bulb.

Ugh, well at least they didn't screw up the LS1.
not far off as to how my bosses Sonic hatchback RS sideskirts bolt up. bunch of push clips till you get to the ends and then it bolts in place.

Quick Reply: Help, stuck removing ground effects