Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Talk me off the ledge, I'm pissed off at myself.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Talk me off the ledge, I'm pissed off at myself.

I've owned 3 fbodys in the past and haven't had one in 5 years. I've been super excited to get another. So excited that when I found a 99 NBM Z28 last weekend I overlooked alot of things I shouldn't have. My big thing was getting a car with a cclean body and paint. Everything else would get replaced. I looked at the car and it was pretty dirty but I could tell there was zero clear coat peeling so I was pumped. Offered cash and drove the car home.

Got home bought a bunch of supplies and hand washed the car. THEN IT HAPPENED.... I start looking harder, like I should have in the beginning, and notice light hail damage all over the rear quarters. Then I start noticing that even after it was clean the paint looked dull and orange peel everywhere. The car has been repainted. The paint isn't "bad" but it's not factory either. I'm suuuuper pissed off. The only thing I wanted was a clean body and I pissed that away.

So my question is, can a car be color sanded and buffed after the fact to maybe clear some of this orange peel up? Or is that out of the question now that it's been cleared? I don't know if paint correction can improve a poorly done paint job or do i just sell the car and start my search all over again?
Old 08-27-2016, 10:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Wet sanding absolutely will take care of the orange peel.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

So is that considered paint correction or do I need to find a paint shop to do wetsanding?
Old 08-27-2016, 10:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by GarrettM
So is that considered paint correction or do I need to find a paint shop to do wetsanding?
I do not consider it part of paint correction. I consider paint correction as in machine compounds, machine polish, clay bar, waxing ect. generally not enough to knock down orange peel.

I do not know your skill level but you may think about tackling it yourself if you are willing to put some serious time and patience into it ?

To bad you're not in Minnesota, I would be more than happy to help ya out
Old 08-27-2016, 11:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the offer lol! I'm going to look into it and see how difficult it is. I'm very much a do it myself person but have never touched ANY paint and body work.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Just take your time and be very careful to not go through the clear coat. It's easy to burn through at the edges where the clear is usually thinner and when wet sanding it's easy to put to much pressure on the edges.

If you can afford it take it to a professional, You can do it yourself but a pro will have the knowledge and tools for the job. You might even call around and find someone good at removing hail damage without having to repaint.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

I'm very much a do it myself person but have never touched ANY paint and body work.
As crazy as it sounds, You might want to pick up an old hood or trunk lid to practice on or find someone who has an old beater that will let you do a little practice on. Watch as many videos on the topic as you can and always use plenty of water when wet sanding, It keeps your paper from clogging and also washes away debris as you go.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm going to call around and see what it cost. I'm fully expecting it to be a grand or something stupid. Most good paint and body work is expensive. If that's the case I'm going to watch videos and try it myself. Worst case scenario it's needs to be painted again, which is where I'm at already so what's to lose.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:22 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going to call around and see what it cost. I'm fully expecting it to be a grand or something stupid. Most good paint and body work is expensive. If that's the case I'm going to watch videos and try it myself. Worst case scenario it's needs to be painted again, which is where I'm at already so what's to lose.
For a full car wetsand and polish I would think you could double that price. Wetsanding is labor intensive and there's no way to do it fast.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

How do I figure out how much clear coat I have? That way I dont go through it. This paint job is garbage. This must be a cheap Maaco job or something because I just took my factory plastic grill off and apperantly they just taped stuff off and sprayed away. When I pulled the grill off the paint was attached to the edges and just peeled off. Ugh.

So now, at a minimum, I need to have the nose resprayed which I will probably do along with my Sunoco hood at some point. Im really to the point of just not even bothering trying to learn wetsanding and just go straight to paint prep instead. Learn how to prep a whole car, body filler, block sanding, etc and just take the whole paint down and start over. Might be able to get a good job for a decent price if I can get most of the prep work done myself.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Well you could look at it like this...... You intended to replace everything on the car anyway. Go a head and do all the work you were going to do and leave the paint to the last. Body work suk a&& anyway. You might find that you ended up with some extra money and be able to get a killer paint job in whatever color you want.
I hate any kinda bodywork and like you when I go looking for a car the body has to be in great shape,I can do the rest.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks for the offer lol! I'm going to look into it and see how difficult it is. I'm very much a do it myself person but have never touched ANY paint and body work.
I implore you to NOT try and do it yourself. It's simple in theory but it takes experience to do well without causing damage - this is not like learning how to wrench. You can F things up bad real quick and spend a lot to fix.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I guess im just pissed off because I feel like i payed for a nice exterior and didn't get it. Hell if i knew it looked like **** when i bought it i would probably be ok with that. Just feel lile i screwed myself getting in a hurry to find a car.

On a good note, everything else on the car works great, and the motor and trans are very strong. Good bones are there, just needs to be brought in to the 21st century. Guess I need to just embrace the hugged out sleeper look and go ahead with the build and leave the paint for last. Already ordered $1200 in new suspension parts. And who am I kidding, the only reason I haven't learned paint and body up until now is because I just don't want to lol.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:49 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just plasti dip the bitch. Or wrap it. It'll look good until you wanna go down that road.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's fairly easy to do yourself. It's not as bad as people make it seem.

This is just one of the reasons I do all of my own mechanical wor, body work and paint work.
I taught myself how to do the body and paintwork, I'm just paticular about the results I want. And no shop will care as much as I do. Even on my beater projects lol

Lots of info on YouTube, get a used hood from a junkyard or Craigslist, learn to buff on that, you'll get a feel for how fast you can cut the paint. And also how fast you can efff it up lol

Don't be scared to make a mistake, everybody does.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Check out the "Junkman's" you tube videos about paint correction and buffing. Lots of great information.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:23 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Body and paint is one of those things i stay far away from as well. Its just something worth paying for to me.

Good Luck with learning the new skill!
Old 08-30-2016, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Skills are meant to be learned. Lol

Quick Reply: Talk me off the ledge, I'm pissed off at myself.