Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Any cures for SLP SS bubbling hood paint yet ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 05:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any cures for SLP SS bubbling hood paint yet ?

I'm very familiar with 98-02 sail panel bubbling / pealing issue and know the only way to repair this is to replace the sail panel .
How about 98-02 SLP SS hoods . I read a couple post online that the hoods had a similar problem .
Anyone found any cures yet ? Any way to stop bubbles from reoccurring ?
I'm at the point that I have my hood stripped ( no chemicals used ) .
Trying to figure whats the next step (if any ) before primer and paint .
Ive stripped , sanded with 180 grit . Plan on leaving the hood sit in the sun for a week or two to let any moisture out . Spray with epoxy primer .

Would it be better to just replace the hood . I do have another Aftermarket SS thats ready for paint but rather use the SLP

In the pictures you can see a black line on the front edge of the hood where is the same exact spot that the paint was bubbling .Even on the under side of the hood in the same place .
Any advice would be greatly appreciated . Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails Any cures for SLP SS bubbling hood paint yet ?-img_1268.jpg   Any cures for SLP SS bubbling hood paint yet ?-img_1271.jpg   Any cures for SLP SS bubbling hood paint yet ?-img_1281.jpg   Any cures for SLP SS bubbling hood paint yet ?-img_1272.jpg  

Last edited by Mechanic98; 03-05-2017 at 01:19 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I haven't heard of this?
Old 03-05-2017, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've also never heard of this. I would assume WS6 owners would have the same issues right? I imagine GM would have used the same type of fiberglass and paint. Same with Corvettes. This is interesting, do you have links?
Old 03-05-2017, 09:39 AM
Teching In

I've known about the sail panels having this problem back when I had a WS6. First time hearing about the SLP hood though.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:45 AM
Teching In

I did a google search " SLP SS hood bubbling " and came up with many results .Some people had the same problem with spoilers .I'm not 100% sure but I believe the SLP components (hoods , spoilers & etc.) weren't made by GM they were products of SLP or their supplier .
Old 03-05-2017, 01:26 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabian
I've also never heard of this. I would assume WS6 owners would have the same issues right? I imagine GM would have used the same type of fiberglass and paint. Same with Corvettes. This is interesting, do you have links?
The SS and WS6 hoods were not painted by GM. SS hood and conversion was done at an SLP facility. WS6 was not an SLP product during the LS1 years, these hoods were painted/installed by ASC.

The paint issues on the SS pieces are not related to the sail panel issues.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

With any such issue , I'd sand down to bare fiberglass & spray a few coats of epoxy primer first, such as SPI.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same problem, posted about it a while back. My bubbles are along where the headlights are and a couple of small ones at the front!

I've considered getting it stripped & repainted but don't know if they'll come back.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:45 AM
Staging Lane

Default Epoxy primer

Like the others have said, go with epoxy primer. If you have the time, let it dry for couple weeks to see if any bubbling occurs. If nothing, scuff with gray scotch-brite and shoot some base/clear.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
The SS and WS6 hoods were not painted by GM. SS hood and conversion was done at an SLP facility. WS6 was not an SLP product during the LS1 years, these hoods were painted/installed by ASC.

The paint issues on the SS pieces are not related to the sail panel issues.
I thought about that after I posted. But then realized I've never heard issues with SLP Firehawks either. I dunno :/

Quick Reply: Any cures for SLP SS bubbling hood paint yet ?