Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
Old 05-10-2016, 02:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 03:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Just a heads up, were doing free shipping on all roofs (all 6LE and McNord products actually) until the end of July so it's the best time to buy if you can't find a good used replacement

http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...=165_21_40_209
No fiitment issues with your carbon fiber sail panel? Want to start saving just incase.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:05 PM
TECH Regular

So I have a 2000 that had the bubbles in 2007, and Mac Haik in Houston was kind enough to replace the roof in 2007 under warranty (even though it had expired) and all was well until now. I now see a zig zag line in the center of the roof appearing and what looks like 2 small chips. They had the memo on this issue, so I'm surprised this is happening. This is the actual hardtop roof - the rear sail panel piece looks ok. I'm looking at the 6litereater replacement - can anyone name a good shop in Houston area to tackle this? Thanks!
Old 09-08-2015, 08:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I dropped the car off at the body shop this morning, for the new 6LE roof to be painted & installed.

Although I 100% trust this body shop, I'm going to be a nervous wreck all day. I don't even want to see the car during the work.

I hope everything fits, tucks, and goes into place as it should.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelhawk
So I dropped the car off at the body shop this morning, for the new 6LE roof to be painted & installed.

Although I 100% trust this body shop, I'm going to be a nervous wreck all day. I don't even want to see the car during the work.

I hope everything fits, tucks, and goes into place as it should.
It'll look something like this:

Name:  IMG_1791_zps884c8b01.jpg
Views: 2121
Size:  166.5 KB

Seriously though, it's extremely easy. A body shop could have their apprentice do it (blindfolded) and it would be ok.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:09 PM
TECH Resident

Let me know how it goes... It'll be on my list of things to get done next spring.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep, unless something major happens I'm getting my roof redone next year too (along with everything else on the long list).
Old 09-08-2015, 02:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TechCam97
It'll look something like this:

Seriously though, it's extremely easy. A body shop could have their apprentice do it (blindfolded) and it would be ok.

I've seen your posts and pictures before...kinda scary - but I know it looks worse than it is.

Originally Posted by wayland1985
Let me know how it goes... It'll be on my list of things to get done next spring.

Will do. I havnt heard anything from the shop yet today, so I am going on the mindset that no news is good news.

I'll call tomorrow morning and find out how it went.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:35 PM
TECH Regular

Well this is taking longer than I expected.

The shop had to order to Expoxy (which is a good thing), but that took an extra day. The panel is getting painted today and baked this weekend. Then all gets installed and clamped down to dry on Monday.

Tues is looking like the pick-up date.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Well this is taking longer than I expected.

The shop had to order to Expoxy (which is a good thing), but that took an extra day. The panel is getting painted today and baked this weekend. Then all gets installed and clamped down to dry on Monday.

Tues is looking like the pick-up date.
I'm kind of curious, how much are they charging for this job. And I may have missed this but are you using 6les replacement roof or a donor roof?
Old 09-17-2015, 11:32 AM
TECH Regular

The replacement Sail Panel is finally done! It took 1 week and a day to complete, and $475 total.

Originally estimated at $350, but that didn't include the urethane, epoxy, or taxes. Time wise, I know the shop didn't bother reading GM's bulletin I had given them in advance. Once the car was in their hands, the adhesives and such were ordered and shipped. The epoxy was applied and set for a day, also they baked the sail panel over the weekend after painting, and clamped it on to dry for a day.

This is a new sail panel from 6LE. the fit looks perfect, the shop didn't complain about issues fitting it on.

The before pictures I had didn't show the bubbling very well, but we all know what that looks like. I did not visit the shop during the process!

I snapped a few after pictures just now, the shadows from the sun make the gaps look larger / un-even, but that is not the case in person.
Attached Thumbnails Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies-img_0387.jpg   Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies-img_0388.jpg   Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies-img_0389.jpg   Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies-img_0391.jpg   Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies-img_0393.jpg  

Old 09-18-2015, 01:02 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The replacement Sail Panel is finally done! It took 1 week and a day to complete, and $475 total.

Originally estimated at $350, but that didn't include the urethane, epoxy, or taxes. Time wise, I know the shop didn't bother reading GM's bulletin I had given them in advance. Once the car was in their hands, the adhesives and such were ordered and shipped. The epoxy was applied and set for a day, also they baked the sail panel over the weekend after painting, and clamped it on to dry for a day.

This is a new sail panel from 6LE. the fit looks perfect, the shop didn't complain about issues fitting it on.

The before pictures I had didn't show the bubbling very well, but we all know what that looks like. I did not visit the shop during the process!

I snapped a few after pictures just now, the shadows from the sun make the gaps look larger / un-even, but that is not the case in person.
Looks great!
Old 09-18-2015, 03:05 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I see what you mean, in those pictures there appear to be a few gapping issues (specifically the panel appearing to have been mounted a bit too close to the rear window trim and a bit too far from the t-top edge.) I had an OEM panel installed on my '02 car back when you could still get them from GM, the body shop did a decent job but the gapping wasn't as perfect as stock. This was an OEM panel so I'm certain that the issue was installer error rather than panel production tolerances.

Glad to hear that yours is just the lighting though. Mine looked like that in person.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:26 PM
Teching In

It looks perfect to me! Nice job, I'm saving my pennies for the carbon fiber. Don't need it right now, but just to be safe.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:40 PM
Banned

Just a heads up RK Sport just cut us a HUGE break on pricing on 20 orders, to get sales before SEMA and we're passing the discount on to you guys...

Here's a copy and paste of the full post...

Hardtop and T-Top Roof Group Purchase going on NOW with the lowest prices they have EVER been!!!

RK Sport just cut us a HUGE break on pricing on 20 orders, to get sales before SEMA (end of the month) and we're passing the discount on to you guys..

We know this is an expensive item and any chance we can to bring it to you cheaper we do!

NOW is the time to replace your damaged roofs or just upgrade to some nice carbon fiber!!!

Here's how much they dropped the cost (in one case you save OVER $300!!!)..

Hardtop Pricing:

Fiberglass:
Normal Price- $800

20 Orders - $545

Carbon Fiber:
Normal Price - $1300

20 Orders - $945

T-Top Pricing:

Fiberglass:
Normal Price- $600

20 Orders - $440

Carbon Fiber:
Normal Price - $850

20 Orders - $640

Here's the ordering pages, all you have to do is click and buy like normal, no weird group purchasing rules or "maybe you'll get it at this price, maybe you won't if we don't get enough orders" if you click and buy, you're getting the roof at that price guaranteed!!!

We are limited to the number of orders at this price though, only 20, so don't put it off and miss out, first come first serve and once they're sold, the sale ends!!!

Have a great weekend!!!

Mark DeLisle
www.6LEDesigns.com

Last edited by 6LITEREATER; 10-03-2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:26 PM
TECH Resident

Just a heads up RK Sport just cut us a HUGE break on pricing if we get 20 orders in before SEMA and we're passing the discount on to you guys...

Here's a copy and paste of the full post...

Hardtop and T-Top Roof Group Purchase going on NOW with the lowest prices they have EVER been!!!

RK Sport offered us a discount on TWENTY orders on roofs for 1993-2002 F-Bodies if we get them in before SEMA (end of the month) and we're passing that discount on to our customers!

We know this is an expensive item and any chance we can to bring it to you cheaper we do!

NOW is the time to replace your damaged roofs or just upgrade to some nice carbon fiber!!!

Here's how much they dropped the cost (in one case you save OVER $300!!!)..

Hardtop Pricing:

Fiberglass:
Normal Price- $800

20 Orders - $545

Carbon Fiber:
Normal Price - $1300

20 Orders - $945

T-Top Pricing:

Fiberglass:
Normal Price- $600

20 Orders - $440

Carbon Fiber:
Normal Price - $850

20 Orders - $640

Here's the ordering pages, all you have to do is click and buy like normal, no weird group purchasing rules or "maybe you'll get it at this price, maybe you won't if we don't get enough orders" if you click and buy, you're getting the roof at that price guaranteed!!!

We are limited to the number of orders at this price though so don't put it off and miss out, first come first serve and once they're sold, the sale ends!!!

Have a great weekend!!!

Mark DeLisle
www.6LEDesigns.com
I'm confused: does the 20 orders price only come into play if you sell 20? Or is it up to 20 at that price guaranteed?

I may jump on this, just because of the price, but I wouldn't be able to install until next spring: if there was a fitment issue would you warranty it up until then?
Old 10-03-2015, 06:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wayland1985
I'm confused: does the 20 orders price only come into play if you sell 20? Or is it up to 20 at that price guaranteed?

I may jump on this, just because of the price, but I wouldn't be able to install until next spring: if there was a fitment issue would you warranty it up until then?
Sorry for the confusing post, I'm going to reword it actually...

Here's the deal, RK Sport is giving us 20 AT THAT PRICE. So if one buys or 20 buy, you get it for the sale price posted.

HOWEVER, once the 20 are sold the sale is over.

We will BUT you HAVE to INSPECT THE PART when you get it. NOT TEST FIT, just INSPECT IT before you sign for it to make sure there's no shipping damage.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:46 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry for the confusing post, I'm going to reword it actually...

Here's the deal, RK Sport is giving us 20 AT THAT PRICE. So if one buys or 20 buy, you get it for the sale price posted.

HOWEVER, once the 20 are sold the sale is over.

We will BUT you HAVE to INSPECT THE PART when you get it. NOT TEST FIT, just INSPECT IT before you sign for it to make sure there's no shipping damage.
Awesome! Is there any special way to store it?
Old 10-03-2015, 08:00 PM
Banned

Just with the weight as even distributed as possible...
Old 11-11-2015, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If anybody was considering doing this now is the time, that price from 6LE is killer!
Old 12-02-2015, 11:39 PM
TECH Resident

$640 for the cf sail panel???

HOLY SCHNEIKES THAT'S A GOOD PRICE!!!

Quick Reply: Bubbling Sail Panel Issue for Dummies