Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Painting Questions.. Need Some Help/Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 11:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Painting Questions.. Need Some Help/Advice

going to get a VFN WS6... so obviosuly it will have to be painted. But at the same time i want to paint my mirrors, sail panel (b pillar) and do the ceta.

Questions

1) i am painting the mirrors, sail panel and ceta in black.. Question is what finish do i want to go with? Flat, Semi-Gloss or Gloss??????

2) I want the paint on the to flow evenly. so how do i go about doing that? the stock paint, there is no gloss in it right jsut the clear coat that makes it shine?

3) Where can i get the black bird stripes? I am going to go with silver b/c all the logos and badging on my car is already silver.

thanks for the help
Old 12-23-2006, 07:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

back up to the top
Old 12-23-2006, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as stock base coat. Yes it is Flat and the Clearcoat brings out the shine.

If you were only doing the CETA, I would say Flat, but since you want to do the mirrors and other things as well......I would say Gloss. I have a camaro so I really dont know much about the CETA. I dont have a reason to study up on it. Thats just my opinion and my .02
Old 12-23-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Beasst8
As far as stock base coat. Yes it is Flat and the Clearcoat brings out the shine.

If you were only doing the CETA, I would say Flat, but since you want to do the mirrors and other things as well......I would say Gloss. I have a camaro so I really dont know much about the CETA. I dont have a reason to study up on it. Thats just my opinion and my .02

ok, great thanks for the advice.....

Can anyone help at all????

so the stock paint is FLAT.. that i did not know. i did know that the clear makes it shine.. so again what do fisnish do i paint the mirros, sail panel and ceta???

tahnks for the help!
Old 12-23-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

bump again for the night crew
Old 12-24-2006, 02:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

TTT for the really late night crew
Old 12-24-2006, 03:12 AM
TECH Resident

no the stock paint isnt flat... stock paint is normal finish... but once you spray Color paint.. there is NO shine to it at all... the clear is what makes it shine... flat type paints are EXTREMELY dry once sprayed... so there is a difference
Old 12-24-2006, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SSquid
no the stock paint isnt flat... stock paint is normal finish... but once you spray Color paint.. there is NO shine to it at all... the clear is what makes it shine... flat type paints are EXTREMELY dry once sprayed... so there is a difference

so then what do i paint the mirrors, sail panel and ceta to make it flow well???
Old 12-24-2006, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well the black mirrors and B-pillar on camaro's are gloss if its not body color. I would do gloss. What others are trying to say is their is two parts to painting. The color (black in your case), and the clear coat. The black will be flat when appiled untill you spray the clear coat. I dunno what to do on the ceta part....i'm still trying to figure it out myself.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by HotWhipT/A
Well the black mirrors and B-pillar on camaro's are gloss if its not body color. I would do gloss. What others are trying to say is their is two parts to painting. The color (black in your case), and the clear coat. The black will be flat when appiled untill you spray the clear coat. I dunno what to do on the ceta part....i'm still trying to figure it out myself.
hey man we talk all the time.. what is your name???

so you are saying for my ta i should the mirros and sail panel gloss black then?

i thought that you already had the CETA???

btw i am JONAS
Old 12-24-2006, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

Well, I think I'm finally understanding what it is you are asking. Paint the mirrors and the sail panel in gloss to flow with the rest of the car. The CETA, doesn't matter, you're choice. I've seen people do flat and people do gloss. If you're doing gloss then just use the paint and clearcoat you did on the mirrors and sail panel. If you're doing flat then get flat paint, don't use the black base without protection.

Now, there seem to be some confusion as to what the black base looks like "out of the can." I've seen it, ie., used it, both as pretty flat looking and pretty damn glossy right out of the mixed gallon can. They were both the same color code(41U plus the expanded code), yet one was glossy and one was satin/flat when sprayed. It's simply a matter of the binding agent that the mixer put into the formula, it does not affect the final outcome. The clearcoat will make both glossy.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 12-24-2006, 12:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by parbreak
Well, I think I'm finally understanding what it is you are asking. Paint the mirrors and the sail panel in gloss to flow with the rest of the car. The CETA, doesn't matter, you're choice. I've seen people do flat and people do gloss. If you're doing gloss then just use the paint and clearcoat you did on the mirrors and sail panel. If you're doing flat then get flat paint, don't use the black base without protection.

Now, there seem to be some confusion as to what the black base looks like "out of the can." I've seen it, ie., used it, both as pretty flat looking and pretty damn glossy right out of the mixed gallon can. They were both the same color code(41U plus the expanded code), yet one was glossy and one was satin/flat when sprayed. It's simply a matter of the binding agent that the mixer put into the formula, it does not affect the final outcome. The clearcoat will make both glossy.

Bryan
parbreak
Here is what i want my car to look like

see how that flows real nice?? What do you think that is for the finsih for the paint??

How will gloss follow the flow of the car? Like i asked before our car is painted in Flat, and the clear coat gives it the shine right??

I just want my car too look like that pic ^^^
Old 12-24-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the gloss will flow real good with the car, especially the sail panel. Your car has tinted windows and when standing back looking at it it looks reflective so why break the look with non-gloss on the sail panel? Understand what I'm trying to describe?
Old 12-24-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

I think it's been answered a few times, but hopefully this is what you are looking for in an answer:

YES, YES, YES. The final finish on the mirrors and the sail panel should be gloss. It would look completely stupid and unfinished to make them dull and flat and they would look like they were simply slapped onto the car. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE make them gloss!!

The CETA doesn't matter. People have done it in flat or gloss and it looks good either way because it's on the rear end of the car and is a separate panel and doesn't need to "flow".

Please just purchase or have your painter paint the mirrors and roof panel in black and clearcoat them and you'll be VERY happy with the results. I can't give more of a direct or definitive answer than that.

Bryan
Old 12-24-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think it's been answered a few times, but hopefully this is what you are looking for in an answer:

YES, YES, YES. The final finish on the mirrors and the sail panel should be gloss. It would look completely stupid and unfinished to make them dull and flat and they would look like they were simply slapped onto the car. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE make them gloss!!

The CETA doesn't matter. People have done it in flat or gloss and it looks good either way because it's on the rear end of the car and is a separate panel and doesn't need to "flow".

Please just purchase or have your painter paint the mirrors and roof panel in black and clearcoat them and you'll be VERY happy with the results. I can't give more of a direct or definitive answer than that.

Bryan
I understand what you are saying. The stock paint with the clear coat will give the effect that it is gloss?? that is what i wanted to know. i will then do the rear bumper the same way. Paint the mirrors and sail panel black, then add clear coat to it!

thanks
Old 12-24-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mustang5.Ohater
I think the gloss will flow real good with the car, especially the sail panel. Your car has tinted windows and when standing back looking at it it looks reflective so why break the look with non-gloss on the sail panel? Understand what I'm trying to describe?
Yea you have a good point there that with the tint it makes it look glossy. Thanks. i have decided to do them gloss.. Like parbreak was saying, paint them black then when the clear coat is added it will give it the gloss look
Old 12-24-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

You got bro!! Good luck.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 12-24-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

You got bro!! Good luck.

thanks for your help!!!!

Originally Posted by Mustang5.Ohater

Old 12-24-2006, 03:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gloss is the ONLY way, especially for the CETA mod, ive been there and done it the other way

Quick Reply: Painting Questions.. Need Some Help/Advice