Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

repainted reds never come out correct?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default repainted reds never come out correct?

I have a camaro that was repainted on half its side. Does not bother me too much as I am going to get it repainted again anyways. What I want to know is why is it that every repainted camaro in the red color coms out, well....... let me try to explain. My camaros new paint job looks, well, like a combination of a creamy red in the shade, or, in the light, against the original fender the red looks like it has brake dust all over it. The new paint is real close to the old paint, but, it does not have the flair and pizzaz that the factory paint has. Has anyone else seen this too? I know paints dont always match 100%, but, its a little depressing.

Now, this only concerns me to the fact that I am going to have the car repainted, maybe the same factory color. If I do the same color, how am I sure to get that pizzaz my car came with from the factory?

BTW I have the 81U exterior color, bright red code.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i had my front clip painted a week ago for 400 and i was not happy with it at all... It doesn't stand out as much as the rest of the car.... someday i'm going to have it repainted again but i can't see having something painted then the same thing painted again with nothing wrong with it...
Old 12-31-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

wow I'm hoping I'm happy when I get my new hood painted
Old 12-31-2006, 09:11 PM
Teching In

That sucks to hear that.

I wanted to get my front end repainted due to all the rock chips and such.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Emoney97ss - sorry to hear. I have seen this multipule times. I even noticed it on my 98 I just sold as the whole thing was repainted but I could tell cause it was, if you looked hard enough, like creamy red. Still looked good, but, not the standout red like factory.

Mustang5.Ohater - What I would do is have them mix the paint before they do any final work and then compare it. say for example your having the hood done, have them spray a soccerball size pattern and check aginst the old. If it does not match, make them mix until it does. If it on the fender or something small, make them use a small airbrush type gun.

If anyone else has input as to why you cant get a factory stand out red 81U color, and please dont tell me cause it is from the factory, lol, throw a few words this way. I need to start investigating what is up. I know I can go with another red, maybe, but, one thing at a time.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

i got my rear fender repainted/dent taken out about a yr ago. the paint matched PERFECT for a few months and then the color changed. $500 down the drain.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

my hood looks like a perfect match in normal lighting, but under some strretlights the hood looks orange... it drives me crazy...

so im gonna get the entire car resprayed...

i just dunno if i wanna keep the stock red or go with somethin a little diff.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Donohue96M6Z28 - Which way did the color turn?
Old 01-01-2007, 02:04 AM
TECH Junkie

it looks dark red.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hmmm something I'm gonna have to look out for because I'm painting my hood and spoiler myself.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

my front bumper skin was replaced when this drunk cheerleader ran over my car. at first it looked awesome. then it got really dark on one side of the car. then the whole bumper faded into almost a pink red like the tints going away. it almost looks lie you can see the bare black plastic under neath it looks aweful and i also have the bright red not sure on the color
heres a pic where you can see the difference in the front bumper and the fender/rest of car. notice how it looks like a darker shade red?

and heres a pic from the same day or even minute and see how its still matched on this side?

but then my dad hit a curb as you can tell from the first pic so hes repainting the entire car for me anyway! its gonna be gunmetal pearl with pearl white racing stripes!
Old 01-01-2007, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, that is interesting. I am wondering if the black is not mixing in the paint or something. My fender is a little darker, but, if you look really really close, it looks like the proper color with brake dust on it, like it has a layer of black grungy dust. Walk away from it and the color difference is subtle, in cloudy skys mid day it looks creamy, lol???????????

Repaint your whole car? Does he want to adopt a new son, or, drive mine into a curb?

What I do not understand, is, if my car is supposed to be "bright red", then why does it have a heavy orange hue to it in bright bright sun when the sun is hitting directly on it.............the original paint, in the least??
Old 01-01-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Red is a hard color to match. When it's painted at the factory there are a lot of conditions that come into play when it's painted. Thats why even other cars that come off the same line will not be exactly the same color. They may look the same but if you really put them side by side it will be off. When you have a panel on the cars repainted its not going to match because there is no way to match the factory conditions exactly.

Remember that your car is how old? and over time the paint fades so it's more than likely going to look lighter than the new paint
Old 01-01-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats crazy. I have always heard that red is Impossible to match. You have to go all or nothing. Good luck to all of you.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Red and blue are a pain in the neck to match.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

I had my entire front clip painted along with the rear bumper cover and hatch. The original 1995 paint is still on the doors and rear quarters. The paint match is PERFECT.

In this pic you can see the original 12yr old paint on the rear quarter and the new paint on the hatch and rear bumper cover.
http://www.azclubgp.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=1765
Old 01-01-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like its a matter of skill...some painters have it..most dont
Old 01-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Teching In

But I do totally get what he was saying about the pop of the rally red
I have a 98 and that red still has tons of depth to it
Old 01-01-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

to come out right u need a good match.period. fading is mostly from single stages not BC CC finishes, fwiw to paint the fender door or quarter without blending is being lazy.

J
Old 01-01-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sercastiK
to come out right u need a good match.period.
I think we all agree with ya.

Quick Reply: repainted reds never come out correct?