Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

big difference in same color paint from vehicle to vehicle??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big difference in same color paint from vehicle to vehicle??

i have a 00 pewter TA and im thinking about getting a WS6 hood. Im leaning towards picking up a factory hood. I came across a factory pewter hood and im wondering how much of a match to my current color it would be. or would I still need to blend it to my fenders and all that jazz.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Resident

You may luck out and get a pretty close match. You may not, but since you're thinking about getting one, and you've found one available in your car's color, it's probably going to be as close as you'll find. Get it, put it on, and worry about repainting if needed.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

most likely the cars came from the same factory if its the same year car u might luck out and have a match good... but the color being pewter its a highly metallic color and when metallic colors like this are sprayed somthing as little as the air pressure which you are spraying being different can throw off the color... but like the other guy said id buy it put it on check it out... its the same color so it cant be "THAT" far off ifyou know what i mean... get it put it on... paint it when you have extra dough if needed be...
Old 04-02-2007, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the advice, hes asking a premium for it since its factory and painted already. what would be a good price for a near mint(minus a couple rock chips)
Old 04-02-2007, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

I hate to say this... but silver/pewter colors are some of the hardest to match... the reason is because light colors can be changed by very small amounts of other colors or slightly different size flake (even the way the flake lays can change the color)... the factory paint systems are horrible as far as consistency... they will paint a silver car... then a black car.. then red... then blue.. then back to silver without cleaning out ANY of the paint in the robotic arms... there are 10 different versions of pewter that are recognized by Sherwin-Williams.. and yes they are all noticeably different (to me anyways)... but give it a shot.. you might luck out
Old 04-02-2007, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

thats enough proof for me to hold off, i'll just wait and buy the VFN outlaw hood and have it painted/blended later on. and probably for less then what the guy wants for the hood that might match.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just to chime in, my car is pewter and the front bumper cover looks like a different shade than the rest of the car. As others have said, there are many variations on pewter colors, someone said 10 earlier, I found that there were 7 variants of the pewter metallic. How it turns out depends on the amount of flake, the amount of the background color, the amount of pressure it is sprayed with, the pattern it is sprayed in, even the temperature can effect how the metallic lays down and dries. There are many variables that can effect metallics, but all that said, if you're saving some cash buying a used hood, you could always get the fenders and bumper cover dusted if you had to, my bumper cover bugs me to no end, hard to believe they let em roll out of thee factory like that.

Quick Reply: big difference in same color paint from vehicle to vehicle??