Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Tape glue on paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 10:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smile Tape glue on paint

Hey guys I wanted your imput on a little problem that im having. The other day I lost my driver t-top racing an Murcielago with a fine as hell girl inside I won because she chickened out at about 80 mph because had her baby with her . Anyways I allready got a new t-top but I had to put some tape and stuff to cover the hole for a few nights, now If you look from up close you could see the tape glue on the paint. I have washed the car a few times and tried degreaser but it wont come off. Any Ideas

Thanks
Old 03-27-2007, 03:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bboyxclub
Hey guys I wanted your imput on a little problem that im having. The other day I lost my driver t-top racing an Murcielago with a fine as hell girl inside I won because she chickened out at about 80 mph because had her baby with her . Anyways I allready got a new t-top but I had to put some tape and stuff to cover the hole for a few nights, now If you look from up close you could see the tape glue on the paint. I have washed the car a few times and tried degreaser but it wont come off. Any Ideas

Thanks
*Yeah, do us all a favor and don't race anyone with a baby inside. That is the most important thing to think about. Don't ya think? Oh, to be young and dumb....

On a side note, there are small cans of cleaner you can get at auto parts stores that safely removes sticky adhesive/glue from automotive paint(less than $6 I believe). Or you could spend more $$ and buy a can of paint prep and that will remove it(something like prepsol). Laquer thinner will also remove it, but it's not the best thing to rub all over your paint.

Last edited by Tim Noel; 03-27-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Regular

Thank you for the advice. Yes I'm young and dump but I do not race with a baby in my car, I was wondering why she didn't beat me and there was the answer. Besides with that kind of car and that mother who would like to be that baby..

Last edited by bboyxclub; 03-27-2007 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bboyxclub
Thank you for the advice. Yes I'm young and dump but I do not race with a baby in my car, I was wondering why she didn't beat me and there was the answer. Besides with that kind of car and that mother who would like to be that baby..

You're welcome. Just be careful out there. I have lost several friends when we were teenagers due to street racing. I guess that's why it is one of my pet-peeves(sp?).
Old 03-29-2007, 02:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Try Goo-Gone, just be very careful to not let it sit longer then needed.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

whatever you use make sure not to let it sit too long and eat the clear or worse!!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Head out to your local paint shop supplier and use 3m part #8984 adhesive remover or the aerosol version #8987 that would do the job.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would be careful with some removers on your paint, but have you tried the easiest fix of claying it off?
Old 04-06-2007, 12:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Use dupont prepsol it will not harm the finish. Just rewax the panel after about an hour.

Quick Reply: Tape glue on paint