Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Car back from body shop... repair questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 10:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Car back from body shop... repair questions

I had a run-in with a van about 6 weeks ago. The other guys insurance covered it. They said my car's stock value was ~8K and they ended up paying ~$6200 in parts and labor for all new parts. Insurance pays list and dealer charges shop cost...what can ya do? Anyway they said they only paid that much because of the added value of my aftermarket investment.

The hit was at the front of the passenger fender. So they replaced the inner/outer fenders, spindle, k-member, outer tie-rod, pro-rated cost of tire & wheel, bumper, emblems, factory front ground FX, etc.

Anyway, the biggest irk I have is the new factory ground effects. I have pictures of the old ones and the bottoms of the FX are parallel to the ground when the car is on a level surface. The way these are installed they are higher on the outside edge than the inside and they flare out something fugly.

The FX mount via a combination of plastic pins and resting on metal hangers which are riveted to the bumper. I'm thinking that the brackets are mounted a bit too high on the bumper causing the FX to have rotated up and caused it to flare out.

Will it make a bad situation worse trying to fix them by moving the brackets? I suspect they'll say they only followed the directions/template given with the FX and if it's incorrect, blame GM. But what insurance paid for was to restore the car to it's previous condition.

The second minor irritation is that they said there would be no problem matching the paint. But I can tell in the reflection between the hood (which they repainted due to corner damage) and the driver fender (which they didn't paint nor blend). The factory paint, even with 100,000+ miles on it, has a brighter reflection in sunlight than their paint. It's been curing at least 4-5 weeks now, and I need to take it back in for the 'glaze' he said. Should that help? If not, is it typical to have problems matching NBM paint?
Old 05-20-2007, 01:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never found a problem matching paint, but it's because I am super picky, and want it right all the time. If the shop has alternate paint color chips, and their own mixing system, they should be able to hit the color pretty close to perfect, and at worst, match it close enough to blend and make it look right on the money.

The FX should fit properly, with no excuses, if they assembled it correctly. If it's not right, show them your concerns and ask them if they could work it out for you. If you address your concerns in a nice manner, and work within their work load scheduled, most good shops will do their best to make you happy.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:58 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem is obvious.....you should have brought it to us jackass.
There probably wasn't a template for the holes. They probably just drilled them crooked. The quality of the pant... I'm not sure, bring it by after work one day this week and I'll take a look at it.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Whistler
The problem is obvious.....you should have brought it to us jackass.
There probably wasn't a template for the holes. They probably just drilled them crooked. The quality of the pant... I'm not sure, bring it by after work one day this week and I'll take a look at it.
Wow, this is a way to talk to customers....

Why be this way?

If the problem was so "obvious", why was it not corrected before it left the repair facility? I mean, seriously....

The guy was asking some questions, as he was unsure what to do in his situation, so maybe you should lighten up and make sure stuff goes out the door correct to begin with. Know what I mean?
Old 05-20-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah, MF'er! Listen to Tim

Nah, it's all good Tim. Whistler is a friend, and he doesn't work at the shop where it was repaired. He's basically saying if I wanted it done right I should have taken it to him instead... it's all good
Old 05-20-2007, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JimMueller
Yeah, MF'er! Listen to Tim

Nah, it's all good Tim. Whistler is a friend, and he doesn't work at the shop where it was repaired. He's basically saying if I wanted it done right I should have taken it to him instead... it's all good
I see....

His post came off as if they had done the work. At least, that is how I took it. Pardon me, while I crawl under a rock with embarassment...

Sorry, Whistler..
Old 05-21-2007, 07:34 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts