Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Giving your car to body work students - good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you gotta be nuts! Those that can Do teach, my highschool autotech teacher was an idiot! Not to mention kids will ALWAYS mess with your car, no matter what. I have been doing professional body work for years now on ferraris, porsches, all of the famed jim glickenhaus cars, and several pebble beach winners, and belive me when i say, BONDO HIDES EVERYTHING, we have gotten cars in that looks straight and dandy, only to be an inch of bondo thick. Ill put it to you this way, would you drop your car off at a body shop that had a bunch of teenagers working there? No, so why let them do it because its cheap. It costs more money to strip off and fix shitty paint and body work down the road when you can afford a good paint job, then to have some kids paint it with shitty material and have to paint it again in a year or too. Kids are too young to have the experience and tricks you learn in the field, and they will never have the good eye for paint and body for years to come, trust me when i say this, dont walk, run.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its hard enough as a proffesional to do the work good, imagine some kids that are not one hundred percent watched while doing the work and then you have the next class come in and work on something that the previous class did. who knows if they left off on the same page. I would never trust it no matter how good the instructor was. He is not God to be surveiling 24 plus kids. I learned everything by reading and i guarantee i know more than what any school is teaching. i have messed up alot of things while learining but i always find a way to fix it. In the end you will know so much you will have the confidence to do anything yourself.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, yeah and I dropped off a hood (blown over by wind onto pebbles, lots of dings, and an old spare fender to fit my Shelby Omni. Both are going on the car. The hood came out great, the fender came out good, (lower rocker portion though and it's covered by the plastic side sill).

This is on a black car.

These kids are good kids and the instructors are very knowledgeable. They also have state of the art equipement.

Nobody can make blanket statements that all vocs are lousy. That just is not the case.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After I got the camaro back, I gave the voc a hood and fender for my Shelby GLHS (black). The hood came out great, the fender came out good. They are both going on the car.

Blanket statements that all vocs are lousy are just not true.

Check the schools in the area and talk to the department head about your expectations. They were thrilled to work on my car. No one messed with it.

Quick Reply: Giving your car to body work students - good idea?