Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Fixing chips yourself

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 01:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing chips yourself

Hey, I got a few nasty rock chips in my hood and I would love to level them out, what would be my best method? My bumper is looking like it needs a new paint job but I dont want to go out of pocket, everyone has told me that black is an insane color to match but I dont see how it can be that hard.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

id wetsand both pieces, use putty in all the chips and resquirt it
Old 07-15-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Veteran

i need to repaint my front bumper. im thinking about just sanding the thing down and repainting it because of the chips and spider cracks. best thing i learned is touch up paint doesnt fix everything
Old 07-25-2007, 12:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if they arent too bad, i have had pretty good luck using the GM touchup paint in the little bottle. i usually apply several light coats until i've built up a "blob". then...(sounds crazy) i take some 2000 grit sandpaper, use a hole punch to make little circles of paper, rubber cement them the eraser of a regular pencil, and LIGHTLY...empahsis on LIGHTLY wet sand them level with your factory paint. then i buff out the haze with my porter cable. scary crap....but its made the front of my NBM WS6 look worlds better