Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

what do you experts think??

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do you experts think??

I would like to know what some of your opinion's are. I was in a wreck about 3 months ago and my car has just been sitting there since, it has been for sale but i haven't had any serious lookers and im getting tired of paying storage on it. I know you can't see much detail in pictures but I thought I would post up a couple pictures and see what you professional or non professional paint and body guys/girls? thought it would cost me to fix it. Here's some pictures. Thanks a lot for any imput/advice ya'll have!!!

Old 08-03-2007, 01:14 AM
Launching!

should be able to just buy a junk yard front clip and bolt right back up there....as for the rest of the damage...was the radiator pushed against the pulleys? Sometimes that can cause internal damage when a engine is stopped like that....as for price i wouldn't know..good luck
Old 08-03-2007, 04:03 AM
On The Tree

what about the front core support though? i know in that third picture you can see the frame up there is totally fubard, how would you go about fixing that? The radiator WAS pushed back but i dont think it smashed the pullies.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

A shop would charge a good bit to fix that...2K+ easy. As long as just the core support and everything in front is smashed, it's not that big of a deal to fix. Once you wad up the strut towers and frame rails though, it becomes a headache. If you knew a good body guy that does stuff on the side you might be able to get it done pretty reasonable.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:20 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shooting from the hip I'd say around 4-4500 with frame machine time, a new radiator support, all the brackets and supports underneath the front clip, and new body pieces.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

basically what im wanting to do here is this. It's already just sitting in storage, so im going to just take everything off the front that is smashed..the hood, front bumper, both front 1/4 panels, headlights, radiator, everything that got broken....and just over the next year piece by piece get the new parts to fix it. I have a buddy that knows a guy that does body work so i might be able to get a break on that....so for JUST the frame part of it one you says 2k+ and the other says 4-4500...is that for everything or just the frame straightening part?? I figure i could find all the body parts like the hood and bumpers either at junk yard or on here pretty cheap.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:59 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

I'm saying 4000-4500 for the whole job.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:59 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Did the bags blow? Is the car an A4 or M6?
Old 08-03-2007, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

yep...bags blew. I heard those were around 1k a piece to replace or something?
Old 08-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

You can get them on Ebay fairly cheap... but the passenger one is part of the dashboard, so you have to replace the entire dash. It's a pain, and combined with the damage on the front it's just not worth fixing. Part that car out and buy a new one.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

hmm i figured i would have to replace the dash....what do you think i could get parting it out? im not getting any hits at all selling as a whole. Because i dont really have the time or place to put it while i pull the motor and all that jazz. Thats why i was wanting to sell as a whole...grrrr
Old 08-03-2007, 10:14 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Gotcha. Is it an A4?
Old 08-03-2007, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

yep it's an A4
Old 08-03-2007, 10:53 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Hmmm.... It's not really worth a ton in parts either. If you have the time to wait for good deals on all the parts, you could fix it for about $1500 in parts. That's with all used parts except a new GM core support (they're 400$) Figure 4 hours frame time@ 40 an hour. You could have it running with no paint for under 2K with a lot of your time invested.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

did you not have insurance?
Old 08-03-2007, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd like to aquire that, Shoot me a PM with a price.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

i hate to break it to you buddy but the cars totaled. new hood, new bumper cover,replace shock absorber, replace all bracketry for the bumper blend of fenders(if not damaged) if damaged paint and possible blend on the doors, new headlights, new headlight housings and covers, paint the headlamp covers, replace headlamp motors, new radiator core support, paint the core support, replace intake, replace intake assembly, replace air bags(probabally the whole dash pad), replace new license plate slot cover, replace windshield fluid bottle, replace windshield washer bottle holder, replace radiator shroud. thats just **** i can see from the pic, i guarentee if i took that apart i would find another million and one things. just remember your gunna have to pay for antifreeze, all hardware(clips, bolts,shims,brackets, etc) that was lost and or damaged, now to paint that at a shop your looking at like 2 grand +. id say your grand total to fix all that would be around 12000+ and thats if the frame rails are ok. if not add about 2 grand to pull them and fix everything. and buddy i guarentee theres some suspension and steering work that needs to be done. if you have anymore questions email me at glowstickkid911@aol.com
Old 08-04-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Fast_94_Z
i hate to break it to you buddy but the cars totaled. new hood, new bumper cover,replace shock absorber, replace all bracketry for the bumper blend of fenders(if not damaged) if damaged paint and possible blend on the doors, new headlights, new headlight housings and covers, paint the headlamp covers, replace headlamp motors, new radiator core support, paint the core support, replace intake, replace intake assembly, replace air bags(probabally the whole dash pad), replace new license plate slot cover, replace windshield fluid bottle, replace windshield washer bottle holder, replace radiator shroud. thats just **** i can see from the pic, i guarentee if i took that apart i would find another million and one things. just remember your gunna have to pay for antifreeze, all hardware(clips, bolts,shims,brackets, etc) that was lost and or damaged, now to paint that at a shop your looking at like 2 grand +. id say your grand total to fix all that would be around 12000+ and thats if the frame rails are ok. if not add about 2 grand to pull them and fix everything. and buddy i guarentee theres some suspension and steering work that needs to be done. if you have anymore questions email me at glowstickkid911@aol.com
WTF?? : What is the labor rate in your area $300.00 per hour?
Old 08-05-2007, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

I was thinking the same thing vetman1...i just didnt say anything! 12k? seriously ...X2
Old 08-05-2007, 12:20 AM
TECH Addict

actually i was just throwing a guesstimate out there but i was way off. i dunno im thinking more around 6K now after doing a little research. it could actually now that im thinking about it be a little more though because i cant see if the fenders got pushed into the doors, and if thats the case they have to be fixed and painted. u cant tell if theres frame damage. i mean its hard to tell so i apologize for the out there number. send me more detailed pics and ill see what i can do with my mitchell book.