Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

how to buff???

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to buff???

ok i've got everything painted and sanded and ready to buff but i don't know what the steps are. i've never done this before so i would appreciate any help i could get. the paint is very dull fom the sanding but i'm sure this is normal. thanks for the help guys!
Old 08-28-2007, 09:11 PM
Scammer Alert!

most important, take your time man, the outcome will depend on the time you put in, work in 1x1, or 2x2 areas, as far as amount of compound to use, i usually go about the size of a silver dollar, i hit the same 1x1 spot atleast 3 times to ensure sand scrathes are removed, especially if a dark color, light colors vary, i keep the buffer speed set at 3, or 3.5, my buffer is a Makita and has settings from 1-6, , so when i say 3-3.5 thats rougly 1500-1700rpms, keep the pad flat, i prefer a foam pad as opposed to wool, wool does cut faster however you run a greater risk of burning, watch the edges of panels and do not stay on the same spot for too long, you wanna keep te surface wet with the compound, also if money permits get a spur, its a tool used to run over the pad wit and it cleans it, as over time your pad will clog from the compound, if not a spur use a straight screwdriver, press te edge of the driver on the pad and watch the compound fly off, after you have finised compounding i usually go with a swirl remover with a black 3m pad and then final glaze also with said 3m black pad, good luck man and just remember take your time
Old 08-29-2007, 08:04 AM
Staging Lane

thanks for the help
Old 08-29-2007, 01:51 PM
Scammer Alert!

no problem, let us know how it turns out
Old 08-31-2007, 12:04 PM
Staging Lane

well it turned out great!!! i ended up using a wool pad and mcguires swirl remover and that brought it right out. i followed that up with some finishing glaze by hand. it was a small piece but it turned out great!
Old 08-31-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

Follow the wool pad with a foam pad and the same exact polish itll make it look even sharper. Nice as hell to do something sharp yourself so you dont have to pay someone else
Old 08-31-2007, 11:12 PM
Staging Lane

alright thanks
Old 09-03-2007, 02:41 PM
Staging Lane

why does the paint keep getting dull after like 3 days? it's shiny after i buff it then in a few days it getts dull again.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

did you polish it with a black pad and foam pad glaze? also what color is your car?
Old 09-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

black is the color but i put the glaze on by hand not with a pad
Old 09-03-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

alright heres the problem. black paint is a natural color and one of the only natural colors left. it has an extremely high carbon content. if you wash the car after you buff it to get the compound off the color will "dye back" in other words dull out. and the same goes from red. you want to glaze the paint with a black pad and a buffer and then wash the car and then wax it right away after you dry it. when you wax it go straight on instead of the usual circles. try that and let me know how it comes out.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

that is interesting because i thought the clear coat would react the same no matter what color was under it. Anyway thank you i'll do that. I just used the McGuires 26 yellow wax with the black 3m pad then i put another coat on by hand pressing firmly. i hope this works we'll see how it hold up in a couple days
Old 09-03-2007, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

well heres what i do for buffing. usually take 3m triz cat buffing compound with a white foam pad(if i didnt wet sand) or a wool pad(if sanded), then i use 3m triz cat swirl remover with a green foam pad, then 3m triz cat ultrafina(if needed) for a final fine cut buff with the blue ultrafina pad, then to finish it off i take 3m triz cat foam pad glazing compound and a black pad to polish it all up. then i wash the car with a microfiber sponge and really soapy water doing one section at a time and then rinsing it off making sure to keep the whole car wet while i go this. i then take a clean waterblade and microfiber towels to dry the car. then i apply wax straight on let it sit for a minute or 2 and then take it straight off and i dont do the wax on wax off swirl method. then i let the car sit until the next morning or afternoon and wax it again. now because your cars black as your drying you might see the car start to haze up. you might need to re black pad the car because the color might dye back. if you end up having to re black pad the car try not to make a mess with the compound(so you dont have to wash it) wax it and it should be good. black is tricky when it comes to buffing because of dye back. sometimes water will cause it to do that. of freshly painted black cars i leave the black to sit for a day or 2 before i buff it so that the color will not dye back. let me know how it works out for u.

p.s. dont press to firmaly with that applicator pad because you might put light scratches in what you just buffed. if you want an easy apply wax use the turtle wax liquid ice. doesnt last long but it will go on easy since the car is freshly buffed then go over it with the standard wax.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:35 PM
Staging Lane

darn thing keeps fading back. i thougt i followed all the directions you guys shared but it looks like junk after a week. this kinda sux

Quick Reply: how to buff???