Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

wet sanding touch up spots

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 12:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question wet sanding touch up spots

hey guys the there is some tiny scratches on the passenger quarter of my car and i tryed to touch them up{had the paint made and a auto paint place]
and i let it dry for a few hours and went over it with my porter cable and i hurryed up with not letting it cure for a day and when i went over it with the buffer the touch up paint got a little darker. now they look like tiny pimples lol so can i wet sand the spots that i did and buff it all out to even it out?.
i have experiance with wet sanding but i just want to make shure.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

did they just mix you some one shot? Or is it a base clear paint?
Old 11-25-2007, 03:20 PM
12 Second Club

no its glossy so i guess the clear is mixed in. i know the guy there and he will mix me up a half of quart for $8 so maybe he can make some with out the clear and then i apply the clear my self. back to my question can i wet sand those spot's
Old 11-25-2007, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

I would make sure that what he gave you was not just a clear with some base mixed in. because if it was once you start to wet sand you will see the metallic show through that is if its a metallic. If not you should be fine.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:36 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have personally applied touch up paint (color + clear mixed together from what I remember), wet-sanded the area, and went over it with my PC 7424 with great results.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I have personally applied touch up paint (color + clear mixed together from what I remember), wet-sanded the area, and went over it with my PC 7424 with great results.
But it's not touch up paint from the dealer. All metallics when sanded without clear expose their silver flake so if its mixed in with the clear and you sand it more than likely it will show that silver flake unless you put your base first then you clear, then buff. I am not too familiar with your regular touch up paint so i cant say whats its made of. If it worked for you it can work for others. I would test it on a scrap piece though.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
So wet sanding just that touched up area doesnt stand out at all compared to the rest of the un-wet sanded panel? Sorry for the i just got a chip in my door and was wondering about wetsanding the touched-up are too

Quick Reply: wet sanding touch up spots