Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Anyone paint an LS1 intake manifold??

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone paint an LS1 intake manifold??

Has anyone painted their nylon composite LS intake manifold? I have an extra intake that I plan to experiment with, and want to use Duplicolor products since I don't have reg. painting equipment. I'm interested in what prep needs to be done, what primer to use and what paint products would work. I'm leaning towards a "chrome" painted look.

Can't afford powdercoating that alot of guys are doing these days. I'm a DIY'er!

Thanks,
Dennis
Old 12-11-2007, 02:58 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixvet
Has anyone painted their nylon composite LS intake manifold?
Are you kidding? Spend 60s checking the site over before you post.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bsf
Are you kidding? Spend 60s checking the site over before you post.
That must have made your day, eh?

Yeah, I found some, but not exactly what I was looking for, therefore my post.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:59 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That must have made your day, eh?
No, not really. Check the stickies. Based on what you posted, what you want is in the stickies. If it is not, you need to be more specific, if search has not yielded what you need.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

well your getting a great welcoming to LS!tech lol fear not man...people repost **** on here over and over and over again...thats the only reason they say use the search feature...Not everyone here is quick to flame everyone they see.

here is some helpful material that may guide you in the right direction.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ing+how+intake

much luck and welcome 2 LS1Tech.
oh and if you want to lay some fire graphix or somethin let me know.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Has anyone painted their nylon composite LS intake manifold? I have an extra intake that I plan to experiment with, and want to use Duplicolor products since I don't have reg. painting equipment. I'm interested in what prep needs to be done, what primer to use and what paint products would work. I'm leaning towards a "chrome" painted look.

Can't afford powdercoating that alot of guys are doing these days. I'm a DIY'er!

Thanks,
Dennis
I went with an elementary way myself. I pulled off the intake, cleaned it real good and then plugged or covered the holes with tape. Then I put 3-4 layers of silver metallic engine spray paint followed by 2 clear coats. The result is the following pic. Very cheap to do and it seems to last. Not as good as a professional paint or powdercoating though.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone paint an LS1 intake manifold??-fs16.jpg  
Old 12-23-2007, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by my01camaroz28
I went with an elementary way myself. I pulled off the intake, cleaned it real good and then plugged or covered the holes with tape. Then I put 3-4 layers of silver metallic engine spray paint followed by 2 clear coats. The result is the following pic. Very cheap to do and it seems to last. Not as good as a professional paint or powdercoating though.
Hey, that looks pretty good to me. Did you use Duplicolor paint? What about a primer? I assume you used hight temp engine paint?

Thanks man!
Old 12-23-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, I am pretty sure it was duplicolor high temp paint. Bought it at Autozone. I didn't use a primer. When the sun light hits it the metallic sparks really stand out and look good. Unfortunately, I sold the car that was on last year. Doesn't take long to do though. Best tip I can give you is make sure the base coats are dry before you apply more coats or clear coats. Patience is key with either a warm garage or warm outside weather. Here is another pics of it that looks a little better.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone paint an LS1 intake manifold??-cam11.jpg  
Old 12-25-2007, 11:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I scrubed mine with a Dawn dishwashing solution and a fibered Brite pad.
It wasn't a priority to get every speck of dirt out, and it's not always possible.
After scrubbing, a spray hose was used at close range to obtain the highest pressure possible. It is important to make sure that residual soap solution and grease is completely removed.
I, also, prefer high temp spray paint. Humidity will affect how fast the paint will dry. A warm day in the shade is ideal. Don't work in direct sunlight. Make sure that the intake is standing on it's side so that the spray can will remain mostly level as you make each pass. Keeping the can level as it approaches empty limits paint sputter and dripping.
At this point, some people prefer to spray very light coats, then let dry in between. I've found that many light coats create a kind of finish, which, under changing light, shows streaks and lines. I prefer to use more paint initially. There is a judgement call as to too much paint. It does take a bit of practice, maybe to a sheet of cardboard first. The initial coat is allowed to almost completely dry. A little bit of leftover tackiness gives the second coat something to stick to. Repeat for third coat, or more. Let cure for a couple of days before remounting of intake.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Just wanted to add...if you use my method, be really careful that each coat of paint is dry enough before adding subsequent coats, otherwise, the succeeding coat will penetrate, then lift off the preceeding coat!
You will not be happy if this happens.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gMAG
Just wanted to add...if you use my method, be really careful that each coat of paint is dry enough before adding subsequent coats, otherwise, the succeeding coat will penetrate, then lift off the preceeding coat!
You will not be happy if this happens.
I'm saving all the paint tips I've rec'd from everyone. Yesterday, Xmas afternoon, I was in my garage working on my used manifold that I bought. I've already sanded most of the top of the runners smooth, but also started porting and smoothing out all the intake runners and the TB port with my Dremel tools, since I had access to the whole piece. Then yesterday, I soaked it and washed it in Dawn hot water and degreased it and scubbed the hell out of it, inside and out, trying to remove all the old oil blowby that gets in there. I've read some threads where oil actually runs out, but this one is fairly clean. I've going to finish the porting today, then finish my sanding. From the advice that you and all of others have posted on other forums, I'll be shopping for my primer and paint etc. I'd like to shoot some paint this weekend. Since this is an extra manifold, I want to read, learn and try everything before I remove the factory one on my C5. If I do a good job, then maybe I'll also do something with the one that's still on my car. I'd rather make my mistakes on a used $50 manifold first, rather than R&R my original.
Thanks for all your good advice.
Fix
Old 12-26-2007, 03:35 PM
12 Second Club

I researched powdercoating, but the Co. wouldn't work on a composite intake.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:56 PM
TECH Resident

Base coat/clear coat here.....

Old 12-26-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Very nice indeed!
Old 12-26-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

Make sure you CLEAN the intake VERY well..Use commet or ajacks and a green scotch brite pad.Get all the cracks and wash thuraly..I'm no painter but with some good prep. work me and a friend can put out some good paint..

Heres the engine bay we did in the driveway

Old 12-26-2007, 07:09 PM
Banned

i powdercoated one and it turned out mint. held up to the heat perfect. its not expensive, find someone near you that powdercoats and ur golden.

duplicolor is good, try to find something that is high heat though
Old 12-26-2007, 11:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lsheaven
i powdercoated one and it turned out mint. held up to the heat perfect. its not expensive, find someone near you that powdercoats and ur golden.

duplicolor is good, try to find something that is high heat though
You dont need hi temp on the intake or valve covers for that matter..
Old 12-27-2007, 09:07 AM

i see your car is red, are you going with red on the mani or a different color?
Old 12-27-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Base coat/Clear coat also:

Hugger Orange:

Name:  huggerintake.jpg
Views: 6173
Size:  34.0 KB

Cadillac Red Pearl:

Name:  intake1.jpg
Views: 8393
Size:  41.1 KB

Bryan
Old 12-27-2007, 08:05 PM
11 Second Club

fast 90/90 MNB

Quick Reply: Anyone paint an LS1 intake manifold??