Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Firebird front fender removal/install?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 03:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Firebird front fender removal/install?

alright well i have a massive crack in my drivers side fender and think i have found a replacement for it off another firebird... my question is, how hard is it to remove the old and fit the new one on? like what all needs to be removed to be able to pull the old off and replace and all that good stuff, and also, how hard is it to get the other one to fit correctly? i tried searching, but only found one write up on a camaro fender and figured they were different, and a lot of writeups on how to pull the front bumper cover, but nothing on front fenders... so if you can help me out or steer me in the right direction id appreciate it
thanks
Old 02-02-2008, 01:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Jack car up, place jackstands.
2. Remove drivers side wheel.
3. Remove plastic fender liner.
4. Un-bolt left half of front bumper cover. May need to remove more depending on situation. Dont remove anymore parts than necessary.
5. On a Firebird you may or may not have to remove the left headlight assembly to remove fender. Make your own judgement. It has been a day or twelve since I had a Firebird apart up there.
6. Remove bolts on bottom of fender (dogleg) .
7. Remove bolts from fender/door jamb area.
8. Remove bolts from top fender area.

I would advise that you protect door, hood and bumper cover and headlight door with duct tape or masking tape. That just makes it a little easier to not make any scratches where you dont want them. Before you put the fender back on I like to put the wheel back on and remove jack and jackstands. This just helps to make sure that the innerstructure is where it needs to be. If you align the fender while it is in the air you may have a slight alignment problem when you let it back down.

For re-install of said fender bolt up and alignt the dogleg area first, door gap second, rear hood gap third and finish off by aligning the front portion of the hood. I would also spray PB Blaster or similar product on bumper cover retainers/bolt plates before you try to remove them. About half of the time they are so corroded that they break off when you start wrenching on them. Hope this helps. If you have any questions just pm me and I will be glad to help.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can reach some bolts with the headlights flipped up . also the fog lights do not have to be removed as they are mounted on the crash bar . also undo the light bulbs . all in all it is easy to do as above poster hit just about evreything . i was able to remove my bumper with ease without it being on ramps .

Quick Reply: Firebird front fender removal/install?