Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

New door skin or replace the door

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 12:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New door skin or replace the door

The driver's side door window weather stipping is being pulled/pushed up out of the door skin when raising the window. I can see where the weather stripping clips seem to have broken through the fiberglass door skin. I'm thinking (maybe mistakenly) that the options to fix this would be to replace the door skin or buy a replacement door.

If I went the door skin path I'd get it installed when take the car in for paint.

or

I'm pretty sure I can buy a different color door for about $100.00 the catch 22 is the door is maroon and the car is silver so I;m not sure how difficult painting silver to match the car would be.

Which is the better option?

Thanks
Brewski
Old 02-21-2008, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

new door
Old 02-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Brewski
The driver's side door window weather stipping is being pulled/pushed up out of the door skin when raising the window. I can see where the weather stripping clips seem to have broken through the fiberglass door skin. I'm thinking (maybe mistakenly) that the options to fix this would be to replace the door skin or buy a replacement door.

If I went the door skin path I'd get it installed when take the car in for paint.

or

I'm pretty sure I can buy a different color door for about $100.00 the catch 22 is the door is maroon and the car is silver so I;m not sure how difficult painting silver to match the car would be.

Which is the better option?

Thanks
Brewski
assuming this is an f-body the skins are fairly easy to do, you can heat up the skin around the outside and pull it off (its glued on), but it will still have to be painted. More than likely if the belt moulding is what you are talking about check the clips they are bad about breaking if not removed properly either way it should be easier to repair it.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

either way will work because no matter what it will have to be painted, so I would choose which ever way would be cheaper in the end. one way you get a door for 100 bucks and pay for them to repair any rock chips and such that are in it already(and there will be some since it is used), jam it out and paint it. the other way you buy a door skin for XXX dollars and pay for them to install it and paint it. the choice is yours
Old 02-21-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Replace the door. They are so cheap they are almost free. You should be able to get a used door for less money than the price of the door skin. Either way you will have to blend adjacent panels for color match purposes.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My SS was hit within the first 6 weeks after me buying it new. I wanted a whole door but then I found out the door stickers (on doors jamb) can't be replaced since they are printed as the car is made. My bodyshop reskinned the door and it looks absolutely perfect.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What are you guys talking about when you say the door skins can be removed?
Are you saying the painted outer piece can be unglued from the main door frame?

I'm doing a widebody kit on my 99 TA and was thinking of how I can widen the doors to make them flow together with the wider rear fenders. I would love to be able to seperate the top, bottom and rear door skin bonds and then pull the door skin only outward. Then fill in the gaps.

Please tell me more. Does anyone have any pictures of the skin or how the skin attaches?
Old 09-29-2009, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Yea, id like to see some pics as well
Old 09-29-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

why not just buy some adhesive super glue and glue the weather strip back onto the door?
Old 10-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Teching In

take it to a body shop, opinions are free. If you looking to replace the door, include painting the door, plus blending the quarter and fender. They may have a cheaper solution for you
Old 10-17-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

either way the fender and quarter are gonna have to be blended. If they do skin you have to leave the inner shell on the car and heat up the old skin nd pull it off. I opted just to replace my door just becuase its easier. Both replacing the skin or door are usually within an hours labor of each other. So either way its gonna costs about the same to do.

Quick Reply: New door skin or replace the door