Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Water spots in hood after repaint?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 09:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water spots in hood after repaint?

I stopped by the shop that's repainting a ws6 hood for my 93 t/a after hours on my way home from work and noticed darker and lighter spots under in the paint job. Looking at the paint it almost looked like there were shadows or two different shades of primer under the paint shot over it in spots that were affecting the way the paint above it looked. The first time I saw the car it was cloudy and the differences couldn't be seen but under dirrect sunlight it's easier to see.

The reason I bring up water spots is that they ended up re-shooting the primer for the hood due to water in the compressor lines when they first shot the primer. Since I'm seeing some blotchiness in the paint I'm wondering if this would be similar to the GTO blotchiness hood defect that requires the hood to be baked at ~240 to clear the spots out.

I am/was planning on picking up the car tomorrow morning but I'm not sure what to think of the spots. if they are water spots would that likely cause other problems an addition to the spots etc...

Thanks for the advice
Brewski
Old 04-15-2008, 09:10 PM
TECH Resident

It could cause some fish eye where it looks like craters. If they are getting water in their lines chances are they are getting some oil from the compressor too. they need to resand and clean very well, then re shoot with no water in the lines. they should have some dryers and proper tubing if its a good shop.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Pheonix
It could cause some fish eye where it looks like craters. If they are getting water in their lines chances are they are getting some oil from the compressor too. they need to resand and clean very well, then re shoot with no water in the lines. they should have some dryers and proper tubing if its a good shop.
yea.sounds like a cheezy shop to me..
Old 04-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

Looked up images of fish eye on google and didn't see anything like that as of yet. Would fish eye potentially be a problem further down the line or would it occur right after painting? The way I'd describe the blotches would be cd size area's that are lighter and darker of the same shade of red.

Thanks
Brewski
Old 04-15-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

is it base clear? or single stage?
Old 04-15-2008, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

It was to be a base/clear since they were blending the nose/fenders to color match the patriot metalic red. (what it actually is maybe a different story) The hood is slightly lighter than the fenders but close enough to live with... Having different shades of red in the hood is what caught my eye.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:01 PM
11 Second Club

If they are the size of a CD I am goin to guess that it could be sanding marks left behind by using too coarse of a sandpaper on a DA sander. Without pics it's hard to say, try to get some up if you can. I would make sure you point it out to the shop before you even think about paying them or accepting the work as "finished".
EDIT: you would see fish eye right away
Old 04-15-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

If you already know what fish eye is then you dont have it and it would have been noticable since you first saw it. I'm guessing without seeing what it is that the gun was probably not atomizing correctly and shooting out some big droplets making them more distinct than the rest because the metallics or pigmets are clutered in that drop. Also caused by water when reshooting right afterwards without waiting for the base to dry, sand and reshoot.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:57 PM
11 Second Club

I've never seen mottling that big but I know enough to know I haven't seen everything.
You know what else it could be since we are talking about red, is insufficient coverage, as red is very transparent. Maybe the spots where there is a different shade is where they used some filler to smooth it out a little under the base and it's showing through the paint because they didn't get enough millage (paint's too thin).

Last edited by torquejunky; 04-16-2008 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by torquejunky
You know what else it could be since we are talking about red, is insufficient coverage, as red is very transparent. Maybe the spots where there is a different shade is where they used some filler to smooth it out a little under the base and it's showing through the paint because they didn't get enough millage (paint's too thin). I've never seen mottling that big but I know enough to know I haven't seen everything.
Yes especially if they used that red glaze putty. or just painted directly on top of the fixed putty spots. Post some pics
Old 04-15-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^^^^^ ya or if they didnt wait between coats and the layers blended together causing the red to stay tranparent, which red base is known for.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:39 AM
Staging Lane

With this morning's lighting I didn't see the effect so I'll check it out on the way home and try to get some pictures when there's better lighting.

Thanks for the info
Brewski
Old 04-16-2008, 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

Here are some of the pictures I snagged. It's kind of hard to see but there are darker and lighter spots in the paint on the hood. What's wierd is the light has to be just right and step a foot to either side and they can't be seen anymore.

Last edited by Brewski; 04-16-2008 at 11:51 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:40 PM
11 Second Club

Looks like the base was not laid out evenly and its thinker in some areas than others causing the appearance of two different colors or they spot primed and they didn't get enough coverage. Plus the color match from the hood to bumper cover is off they need to re-shoot it and blend it in.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

I'll have to see what they can do although the spiteful bastard in me is tempted to take the car to some of the local auto shows and with a sign thanking XXXX for color matching the hood...

Thanks for the info again
Brewski

Quick Reply: Water spots in hood after repaint?