Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Front license plate cover peeling! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front license plate cover peeling! Help!

ok well today i was playin w/ my car and decided just to run by the car wash and spray off my car since it was a lil dusty. Well in the process of washing, the pressure washer took off a small section if the clear coat on the front license plate cover. Its not that noticable, but its a dull spot. Is there an easy way to fix this or do i have to get it repainted or try to find a used black one? help!
Old 04-29-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reapainting might be the way to go since you can't tell how good the paint is that's on it. At O'Reily's they stock a Urathane-safe paint stripper that took the paint right off my plate cover. Then you can spray with adhesion promoter (just to be safe) and then Black Truck/SUV spray paint from Advanced and use the clear too. If you apply right, you will still get a really nice finish. After it's all dried and cured, hand buff with rubbing compound liquid..I use 3M. Swat

P.S. Or you can send it to me and I'll do it for a small charge...or maybe someone/ someplace local by you.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

how much would you charge? Also how does it come off?
Old 04-29-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wetsand with 300 then 600, primer, 600 wet again, base coat, clear coat.

you can go professional and get the real du pont stuff at an autobody supply shop, but a rattle can from autozone would be fine since its not a big area. then just get clear coat in a rattle can again. they use some rubbing compund on it once the paint is all cured. it worked great on my cover and it should work well for you!

dont be scared to to it yourself, its not like your repainting a fender or something. just take it out the bumper and spray it separately from the bumper.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

thanx guys, and i know im a little shy about messin w/ stuff om my own just b/c i help other ppl do things and it works out fine but seems like anytime i do sumthin to my car, sumthin gets messed up. lol
Old 04-30-2008, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

PM sent
Old 04-30-2008, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=slayerized6;9265253]wetsand with 300 then 600, primer, 600 wet again, base coat, clear coat.QUOTE]

I'd be afraid to sand it like that. With that raised bird and all there's a good chance of deforming it if you're not particular with it. What I've found is that that cover is a slightly different plastic than the bumper and so the stripper will take it all off in the same amount of time it'll take you to get all those sheets of sand paper off the garage shelf! Swat

Quick Reply: Front license plate cover peeling! Help!