Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

painting fiberglass

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 11:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting fiberglass

So i got an RK sport ss hood for my car and i had it painted and installed. After having it on there for about 1 week i have already cracked the paint just by simply closing the hood CAREFULLY. Isnt there some kind of flex additive that the shop was supposed to use on fiberglass parts?
Old 07-01-2008, 12:17 AM
Teching In

there is a flex additive but i cant see the reason for putting it on fiberglass. how bad is the hood flexing off of the snubs for it to flex? heck i didnt even put the additive on my bumpers when i painted them, front or back and i sure didnt put it on my hood. paint is holding strong for 2 yrs now... and i have been slightly bumped in the back and no cracks.

i know people talk about the flex additives and bulldogs and such but i have painted lexan rc bodys with automotive bases and clears that you can fold in half with no problems in the paint.

in short, flex additives/agents are a cool new way to make more coin from the customer.

just my .02
Old 07-01-2008, 11:23 AM
11 Second Club

It could be possible that they got too much material on there, if the clear is too thick it can cause it to crack.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Teching In

The hood should have been baked @ 140 for 1hr or let sit in the sun for a couple of days if they don't have a baking booth. But yes there should be a flex additive put in the primer sealer and clear on it. If its cracking from opening and closing it the shocks may be too strong for the lighter hood. We do a lot of hood swaps and usually don't have trouble if done correctly. fiberglass also shrinks and expands with the weather.....another reason for flex. It's not really a way to make more money either because on our estimates we charge an extra $8.00
Old 07-02-2008, 12:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by haulinss
It's not really a way to make more money either because on our estimates we charge an extra $8.00
I've never actually seen anyone get charged for it or bulldog, it's usually included in the materials per hour cost.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you post a pic? My guess would be it was not lined up correctly, and something tweaked when you shut it.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Teching In

I have seen some cases a strong hood shock combined with thinner fiberglass equals a stress crack in the fiberglass itself which means a flex additive will help but not cover or solve a strees crack. just a possibility your hood may be plenty thick and stout. You might want someone to look at it to make sure its not in the fiberglass.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flex additive just slows down the paint molecules from "cross linking". This allows a technician to install the part without damage, ie plastic bumper cover install. Cross linking will be complete in about 48-72 hours @ 68-72 degrees. I would take a look at the fiberglass, closeure adjustment, or undercoats.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

As Whistler requested here is a pic of the crack in the paint. This is right above the latch in the front.

Quick Reply: painting fiberglass