Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

black cars chime in

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 12:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unhappy black cars chime in

anyone else have a black car that has the much hatted swirl marks from washing? if so tell me how you fixed it, short of taking it to be re-cleared or repainted.

its not bad, but my previous owner, idk what he washed with, or if there is even a way to prevent it. other than touchless washes.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you need to get a high speed buffer and some 3M abrasive polishing compounds. Unless the scratches/swirls are through to the base coat/primer, you should have no trouble making the paint look near-new again.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

polish it.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

okay, we have a nice polisher, so im going to have to break it out one of these days i have off. appreciate the responses.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

high-speed buffer (pay a pro, do not attempt yourself unless you know what your doing)
and buy some microfiber towels...you cant prevent the swirls...but you can lessen the damage.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:54 PM
Launching!

micro fiber towels are a must after you get it buffed
Old 07-24-2008, 07:20 PM
11 Second Club

dude just get a foam pad and some 3M swirl Remover, use the buffer on the slowest speed and take your time. If your worried about burning through the paint, tape all edges, corners and body lines, this is where the paint is at it's thinnest. Just make sure you always keep the buffer moving and do small areas at a time, if you do this you will be fine...
Old 07-24-2008, 07:39 PM
Teching In

well... first off... to PREVENT it. Dont take it to automatic car washes or anything like SIMONIZ or places like that. I had my car repainted and washed it by hand sooo many times and it looked fine... then one day (3 months later) I was feeling lazy and took it to Simoniz (you know, people basically wash it for you... not sure if it's an Iowa only thing?) and now I noticed i've got those ugly swirls and the paint doesnt look as good.

To get rid of it, just use a buffer and some Meguiars... I swear by that stuff.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

get a buff job
Old 07-24-2008, 07:45 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Porter Cable 7424 cured all my ills.

But they will come back if you don't change what you are doing when you wash your car. They don't just appear for no reason.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
My Porter Cable 7424 cured all my ills.

But they will come back if you don't change what you are doing when you wash your car. They don't just appear for no reason.

what steps did you take to get rid of them?
like what pads and products did you use and in what order?
Old 07-30-2008, 12:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you should try some of that mothers scratch remover (polisher)...it works on small scratches pretty well, but not when a dog decided to run around in circles on the hood of your car... just be ready to do the whole car and get a couple of bottles...

*disclaimer* no dogs got shot in the making of this story...not that it didnt go through anyone's mind
Old 07-31-2008, 07:21 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After fixing it.

Get 2 buckets, dedicated to the car, and NOTHING else, not to be borrowed for anything. 1 Micro fiber wash mit, a good quality soap. ONe bucket to have cool water and soap and the other as clean water only. Also rinse top to bottom and dont use alot of pressure.

Dry car properly with micro fiber towels.

Wash and then between use Maguires Ultimate Quik Detailer.

The key thing is you need to polish and fix the clear coat. Then protect it,
Old 07-31-2008, 07:28 AM
TECH Regular

My favorite combo for black is as follows in a detailed process/list of products:

Wash with Sheep Skin Mitt & Optimum Car Wash

Clay with Four Star Detailing Clay using .5 oz Optimum Car Wash to a 16 oz spray bottle of water for lube

Wash with Sheep Skin Mitt & Optimum Car Wash to remove residual clay from car

Moderate swirl removal -
Menzerna SIP or IP with a Orange med. aggressive or White polishing pad. The pad needed will depend on the severity of the swirls - do a test spot to determine which pad will be needed. Use Porter Cable 7224 buffer on speed 5.5

Finishing/light swirl removal -
On black, the best finishing polish in my opinion is Menzerna finishing polish (FPII) - nothing I've used finishes down as well as Menzerna. Use Porter Cable 7224 buffer on speed 5.5 and a white polishing pad

Protection -
I always use a good carnauba on black such as Pinnacle Souveran Carnauba Wax or P21S Concourse-Look Carnauba Paste Wax. It may not last as long as a sealant, but it gives the paint a nice deep, rich glow. Since black paint shows every imperfection, a carnauba wax will also help cover slight imperfects - unlike a sealant that can highlight them.Use Porter Cable 7224 buffer on speed 2.0 with blue/black wax applicator pad.

It's a complicated process but in the end, it's always worth it. You have a black car. It's by far the most kick *** color when cleaned correctly. Treat it as such.