Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Finally replaced my fender!

Old 07-22-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Finally replaced my fender!

When I bought my car the driver fender was broken and the bumper cracked. Looks like deer damage probably. I always had a black bra on the front to hold it together and hide the worst of it. I ordered a fender off ebay, new, painted, aftermarket but for the price I couldn't resist. It isn't 100% perfect but it is really close, looks tons better than the shattered old fender, and no ugly bra! I don't regret spending the $180. Paint isn't exact since, well, it is fresh and the rest of the car is 10 years abused.

I replaced the bent up headlight bracket too. Now my foglight actually aims out where it should and doesn't light up the inside of the bumper anymore

This was my first time ever doing any sort of body work. Simple enough really, just unbolt and bolt back on for the most part. I'd probably suck at filling in dents and painting stuff though

Anyways, some pics... sorry for the cell phone quality (or lack thereof) but I never seem to have my real camera handy.

BEFORE: How it looked with the bra on it

BEFORE - bra removed to see the damage

DURING - this was fun! You can see a chunk of the broken fender lying on the concrete.

AFTER! Horrid quality, glare + cell phone = crap

The bumper still is cracked but I didn't have the money to replace it. Even so, a single visible crack is much better than a huge hole and several cracks

Still some alignment to be done, but when I was finishing this up at midnight last night with poor lighting and the mosquitoes eating me alive getting everything perfectly aligned wasn't possible. I'll adjust it more later.

So... step 4 of a million for fixing the car up complete. Long ways to go....

Last edited by SparkyJJO; 07-22-2008 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought this plastic bumper repair stuff at autozone. It has two tubes like epoxy.
I had a crack on the front bumper (I bought it used on ebay for $5).

I sanded the crack on both edges on the painted / outside of the fender. mixed up a bit of the flex epoxy, filled it in. about an hour later sanded it, and filled in some more.

I was surprised how tough this stuff is, yet how flexible.

I'm going to sand and primer this weekend.

You might be able get a can of touch of color matched spray paint to fix it.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

knew it was you before i seen the car , i'm glad to see your getting it fixed . .. i know you'll enjoy it so much more .. it just gives you a good feeling inside to go out in the morning and see your ride looking spiffy..
Old 07-23-2008, 09:57 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Go to an automotive supply store and either get the 3m flexible bumper repair or the fasco version. Both are a two part epoxy and will bond it together. Shouldn't cost more than $30.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-23-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nauty99SS
knew it was you before i seen the car , i'm glad to see your getting it fixed . .. i know you'll enjoy it so much more .. it just gives you a good feeling inside to go out in the morning and see your ride looking spiffy..
Oh believe me I do. That butt ugly bra gone is great. Even though there are still plenty more dings, scratches, and such, just the fact that the big hole is gone and the bra off makes it look so much better and cleaner. Oh, did I mention that the bra gone looks great? I hated that bra with a passion. If anyone wants a bra I'll sell it for cheap!

Seeing the fender fixed kinda brings back my old dreams of turning this 6er into some thing big...hm.

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
Go to an automotive supply store and either get the 3m flexible bumper repair or the fasco version. Both are a two part epoxy and will bond it together. Shouldn't cost more than $30.
Thanks for the info, I may do that, at least it'll clean the bumper up more. I'd imagine I'd still end up replacing it eventually since that crack is large enough and around the mounts that a patch won't last permanently. Plus, the bumper is deformed some too.

Search this Thread