Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Paint Bubbled?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Paint Bubbled?

My friend and I took a stab at painting my LS6 intake today. I had plastic primer, filler primer and High Heat Duplicolor gloss engine paint. We put on one good coat of the plastic primer, let it dry, then a good coat of filler primer, let that dry and then put on two coats of the black engine paint. After the second coat of black I noticed little bubbles in the paint, which royally pissed me off cuz everything was looking real good up to that point.

We prepped it by washing it down with soap pretty good and then going over it with goo-gone trying to make sure there was no grease on it.

We stopped after we noticed the bubbles and decided to let it set up over night and are gunnna sand it with 1500 grit to try to smooth it back out and and then give it another coat of black, and hopefully be able to move on to clear coat.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:57 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any time I've ever used Goo Gone, it seems like it has left a little bit of a film behind. I would have chosen a different product to prep the surface (like Acryliclean or Prep-Sol).
Old 07-23-2008, 08:42 PM
Teching In

You need to wipe anything you paint with wax/greese remover. you can find it at any parts store in the paint section
Old 07-23-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

last step for me is to wipe with lacqor thiner...works well
Old 07-23-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

Ok, I guess that may have been the problem. It weird tho, the bubbles didn't come until we put the engine paint on. The both coats of primer were fine, nice and smooth.

Next time I'll used something else to clean it tho, I'm very new to painting things so I'm learning as I go.