Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Can I fix this myself?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I fix this myself?

Stupid deer hit me in the rear, passenger side fender and I was wondering if I could fix this myself, or if I need to take it to a body shop.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:55 PM
TECH Junkie

if you have to ask you probably need to take it to a bodyshop
Old 07-31-2008, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

well I was just wondering if it would be an easy fix or not. I'm tryin to learn how to do as much as possible myself so I can avoid the crazy labor charges.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

Id go easy on it with a rubber hammer until either it looks good enough, or looks like you need to take it somewhere. Go easy but dont be afraid.... it doesnt look that bad in picture.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:16 PM
Staging Lane

that's what I was gunna do, but I can't get to the dent from the inside due to the wheel well
Old 07-31-2008, 05:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Oh--Deer.......
Old 07-31-2008, 05:38 PM
Staging Lane

^yeah the stupid thing jumped into the road as I was passing it (stupid motherf***ing deer)
Old 07-31-2008, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

being a deer it could have been a LOT worse....
Old 07-31-2008, 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

o I know, living out here in a very wooded area, the deer are everywhere. A close friend of mine totaled his dads 2000 Corvette, that definitely wasn't a pretty site
Old 08-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Try hammering on the high points of the 'dent' with a rubber mallet, dont hit it with a lot of force, bounce the hammer off the car, let it do the work, see if you can get it to pop back into place a little, metal has a memory.. Your probably gonna have to take it somewhere if you want it repaired though, body work isn't exactly an easy thing to learn without someone there...
Old 08-01-2008, 11:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 96silverbullet
that's what I was gunna do, but I can't get to the dent from the inside due to the wheel well
Try a plunger or borrow one of those dent pullers from someone..... Ive had two deer run into the side of my Z so I know how you feel! One put a foot thru the bottom of my door and the other jumped a guardrail and landed on my hood!!!
Old 08-01-2008, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1998Z28LOADED
Try a plunger or borrow one of those dent pullers from someone..... Ive had two deer run into the side of my Z so I know how you feel! One put a foot thru the bottom of my door and the other jumped a guardrail and landed on my hood!!!

Holy crap thats bad deer luck! LMAO, not that its funny, but shoot I'm not sure what I would do if a deer landed on my hood!
Old 08-01-2008, 01:45 PM
TECH Resident

Is it just the dent in the QP? Does it have any peaks or is it rounded in the center? If its rounded try to compressed air trick, Im not sure if it will work for you since the QP is prob thick metal.

Go buy a can of PC cleaner( Compressed air ) turn it upside down, spray, It comes out super cold (ICE almost) get a blow dryer and go over the dent. In my case the difference in the temp popped the dent right out.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

look for someone that does dent removal. usually they can get it out much cheaper than the body shop. DO NOT hammer on it yourself! Even a rubber mallet can do more damage than you think. you dont want to end up having a shitload of little places in it. i have a friend of mine that does it and i have seen him work miracles. he has taken out alot of **** for me. actually where it is hit it can be gotten to by removing the speaker. it can all be done from the inside.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by culhan9
Holy crap thats bad deer luck! LMAO, not that its funny, but shoot I'm not sure what I would do if a deer landed on my hood!
Actually I cried b/c it was right after I bought it @ 45k, the car was flawless. Shattered the fender and bent the hood. To make matters worse State Farm wouldnt replace the hood b/c they said it was "straight" ... like they could tell with the fender gone. But anyway the hoof thru the door was like 6 months later. I actually slammed it in park and tried to run down the deer on foot.... im sure I looked like an idiot but I was HEATED! The problem is I live off a backroad, and two of the idiot people on the road have apple trees so its like begging deer to run into cars. I think every car in the neighborhood has/had deer damage. Fuckn sucks dude...

...and believe it or not but in May I had a dog in the neighborhood hit me going about 75... the dog was going 75.... I was going 25... cracked the bumper cover from the wheel to the cornerlight!
Old 08-01-2008, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

Could Probably pop that out from inside of Fender with Rubber Hammer.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:30 AM
Launching!

He said he can't get to it from behind. A suction cup and tapping on the outer part of the den't might get it to pop out a little but for the cheepest way try paintless dent removal. But beware it it not always perfect. If you want perfect take it to a bady shop. Oh and there is really nothing you can't do as far as doing some of the work your self to help lower the labor costs. Unless you actually repair the dent remove what ever you want removed prime it, block it and completely surface prep the pannel so all they would have to do is paint it. And being a novice I wouldn't recommend trying to fix the dent your self with bondo, you probabally woun't be too happy with the results.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sgt. Spuds
Try hammering on the high points of the 'dent' with a rubber mallet, dont hit it with a lot of force, bounce the hammer off the car, let it do the work, see if you can get it to pop back into place a little, metal has a memory.. Your probably gonna have to take it somewhere if you want it repaired though, body work isn't exactly an easy thing to learn without someone there...
looks like its on the seam. i would definently take it somewhere where they have the right tools and years of experience.

Quick Reply: Can I fix this myself?