Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Paint shop prisons

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 09:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Paint shop prisons

I want to get my Trans Am repainted after this winter. Generally what should I be looking at far as turn around time? I realize getting a car painted takes a lot of work to be done correctly. But at the same time I know guys whos have their cars sit in the body shop for 9+ months, not looking to play that game either. Whats generally good turn around time on a repaint? This is for a repaint to the factory red, no body modifications or any thing like that.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the time really just varies im my experiences. with it just needing paint it could be as little as maybe a week, up to a few weeks depending on how busy they are, and wether or not you want the door/hatch jambs redone or not ..... i typically got my cars back in about two weeks...
Old 08-11-2008, 06:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

me and my friend painted my camaro in a week, every single panel painted and heavy duty sanding
Old 08-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Do you need body work done at all? any scratches or dents that need to be taken down and filled in? Does the jambs and under the hood need to be painted? If so, you need to take into account removing the engine and all the componants plus reinstalling etc. Generally for a very good quality paint job, 3-4 weeks is a good time period to look at. but 6-8 weeks isnt something to worry about either. Its when it gets to the 3-4 month marker when you should worry. Shops that generally take longer are just a higher production shop and have more cars that need to get out the door every day. Steer clear of shops that deal mainly with insurance work, because your car will just sit on the back burner weeks at a time. Find someone who does some custom paint work, or rents space from a shop and does side jobs on his own time evenings and weekends. So you may be paying a little more, but you get better qaulity and a quicker turn around time.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Other than a small nickel sized rust hole in the hatch, the body is clean and straight. The reason for repaint is that the clear is bad in a few spots. I would like the under hood painted but not going to happen right now, thats down the line when the car gets a new motor. Over all the car still looks great, but at best it looks like a 15 year old garage kept weekend car. I can deal with 1-2 months, but I have heard horror stories in the past of cars taking a year to complete.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

at my shop we've had cars from a few weeks to half a year depending on the work that it needs.