Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

new paint job... need help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 04:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question new paint job... need help!

So i just got a new paint job and its only been like 2 days since it was sprayed and i want to make it look better cause there is a slight orange peel.What is the best way to get that paint as smooth as glass? ive heard wet sand but i dont want to do anything that abrasive. would a clay bar work? or a special buffing compound? oh and how long should i wait to do this? The last thing i wanna do is ruin a new paint job.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NorCalLt4
So i just got a new paint job and its only been like 2 days since it was sprayed and i want to make it look better cause there is a slight orange peel.What is the best way to get that paint as smooth as glass? ive heard wet sand but i dont want to do anything that abrasive. would a clay bar work? or a special buffing compound? oh and how long should i wait to do this? The last thing i wanna do is ruin a new paint job.
If you have orange peel you should take it back to your painter and tell him to repaint that ****. No aftermarket paint should have orangepeel, unless the painter purposely did this to match other parts of your car.

Since the paint is so fresh, you generally need to wait like 4 months or so before you can wax and use soapy water.

When your ready to wax, make the first layer, very thin. You dont want to over do it and **** the paint up. Every time you wax from then on, just add a little more

Good luck.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

your paint is fresh you do not wax for at least 30 days, and yes no matter what we do we get orange peel its the nature of the beast, factory has orange peel , even the high end cars have orange peel
but if its real real bad then the painter didnt have enough ornge peel, to much material on the gun, pattern to wide, clear mixed wrong
if its like that and its real bad, nothing to do but to re clear the car
Old 09-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

its not bad at all.. it looks like a factory job i just want it to have that like glass look.
So what is the best thing to use on new paint? wax, polish, clay bar...ext?
Old 09-11-2008, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

you want the peel gone you gotta wet sand it
Old 09-12-2008, 12:06 AM
TECH Addict

you should wetsand it you should have the painter wetsand it. unless the car was a complete it should have some peel to match the rest of the car. if its complete it should completely be flat.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

usally when i do a complete i put 3 coats on, allot is removed from west sanding and buffing, on fresh paint you use a polish, not a wax wax seals the clear hence all the problems
its up to you if you want it flat then sand it down flat and buff it, but it sits too long have fun trying to pull sand scratches from week old clear