Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How getting tires installed leads to body work needed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 10:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool How getting tires installed leads to body work needed!!!

The story (sorry kind of long) starts with me taking the SS to have new tires installed at the NTB(National Tire & Battery) down the street from my house. I purchased the tires thru Tire Rack and when they arrived NTB gave me a call. I got there right before they closed but the counter guy said no problem. I paid around $127 and was on my way.NTB was fast and I recieved good service.

The next day I was washing my car when I noticed that the fender on the passenger side and the door no longer aligned properly. I freaked when I remebered reading posts about people improperly jacking up cars and bending the fender.

I called NTB and the counter guy said to come in the next day and talk to a manager. I returned ready for a fight. I excpected for the managr to deny responsibility and give me the run around, but to my shock he took one look at my car and apologized. He said to take the car to Service King for a quote.
They quoted the repairs at 446.32. I gave it to the manager and two weeks later i got a check in my name in the mail. Do to the great service and promptness I will continue being a customer of NTB.

It looks to me like the only thing bent is the tab the lower part of the fender attaches to.Is this something that I can fix myself and use the cash for upgrades to the new ride? The car is other wise clean and strait so I want a proper fix!!!
Old 09-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Banned

i had the same thing happen to me. it sucks doesn't it. All that really needs to get done is that tab that is bent outwards needs to be carefully bent back inward. The problem with that is it can break and then your F'd. try and fix it yourself if you want or just have professionals do it.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:56 AM
Launching!

After reading a few more posts I'm thinking of trying to fix it myself. I guess the worst thing that could happen is that I F'it up and have to take it in to be fixed. If I bend the tab will the fender go back to its prior shape?
Old 09-14-2008, 12:22 PM
12 Second Club

that happened to me and and the tab on the right side broke off so what i did was i pushed the bottom of the fender to where its suposed to be and i drilled 2 small holes and used some trim screws to hold it and it worked perfect.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very very easy fix
Old 09-18-2008, 02:19 PM
Launching!

Default Thanks for the help!!

Real easy. Eliminated CAGS while I was at it. Used big pliers and bent it till the gap matched the driver side.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that sux man. good thing they are paying for the damages tho. be very careful with the tab if u try and bend it back yourself