Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Rear quarter damage

Old 09-18-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Rear quarter damage

In traffic this morning someone changed lanes into my drivers side rear quarter...insurance will be paying for the repair, but I want to make sure we go the best option possible. The car has 130K miles on it...but I think that it still has enough value that it won't be totalled from this damage. What do you think of this damage? New quarter panel time? I don't think anything structural was hit...my subwoofer box got dislodged, but everything from the gas cap forward seems to be fine, and I don't see any damage to any other panels inside the car...though I haven't taken the sub box out yet to see behind it, I don't know what kind of reinforcement or bracing is there.

PS, I know my exhaust tips are in awful shape...it has been next on my list for a while.
Attached Thumbnails Rear quarter damage-09-18-08_0938.jpg  
Old 09-18-2008, 02:24 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I hate to say it but the insurance company is not going to replace the quarter. Make sure you take it to a reputable shop that does good work and uses good materials. some of the shops down here guarantee their repairs for the life of your car or as long as you own it. Its really not that bad.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 09-18-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Hey thats fine with me...if it looks right when it's done and my subwoofer fits back in again...I would prefer that they don't cut and weld on the car. The paint is cracked at the bottom of the quarter...so that might kinda suck...I do wash the car every 2 days...so even though I drive it 140 miles a day (my daily driver)...it looked perfect before, so I hope it can look as good after.

Happy birthday to me right?
Old 01-29-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Well...it took forever to deal with the insurance (but they paid for it in full and my rate did not go up as a result of the claim), but the car FINALLY went in to be repaired on the 19th. I just picked it up this afternoon, I know it's only a crappy cell phone picture, but the repair looks fantastic. Car still has the original quarter, and my stealthbox actually fits better now than it did before the accident (they used very very very little bondo in the panel)...so 4 months later, at least my car looks nice again (except for the ugly stock wheels that I put back on it for the winter).

The body guy hired a paintless dent guy to take a few dings (that were there when I bought it) out of the other quarter too...and he buffed the whole car and fixed a couple scratches that were caused by a jackass doing a crappy job replacing the windshield last July...I'm very very happy.
Attached Thumbnails Rear quarter damage-allfixed.jpg  
Old 01-29-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice!
Old 01-29-2009, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

Damn man i paid 650 for a front bumper and wished the body shop would have taken the dings outta my quarter panel as well... But whatever, looks great, glad to see a shop take pride in these cars.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:47 AM
TECH Addict

And then this morning on my way to work I slid on ice and put the front of the car into a jersey barrier I feel like I should just ride a bicycle to work.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

...but hey...at least I have a great shop to take it to for repairs now (if it's not totalled...I think the front frame is bent, and with 148K miles...I don't know what the car is valued at)
Old 01-30-2009, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

Oh my god man when it rains it pours... Funny part was after getting my front end fixed it got hit exactly to the day one week later. I was pissed but I wish you good luck with your car.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:16 PM

i work at body shop...that can deff be made straight...from the looks of it..you dont need n new panel....clear blend the door and its done...is there any damage pass the 50% mark on the panel going to the door?....bumbers never "Exactly" match anyway

it should be ok
Old 01-30-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks Friedrice...I'm trying to look at it on the bright side...the other side of the road was a MUCH LOWER barrier and then a 50 foot drop into a river...that woulda been a LOT worse (especially since it's like 20 degrees here...I'd have died even if I got out of the car).

Newlogo, the quarter is already fixed lol...look at post 4, it's not a great pic, but they did a great job...I just bent the front of the car this morning though...no pics.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

Well, the car has been at the shop for a little over 3 weeks now to repair the damage from the jersey barrier...I stopped in today to take a look, they're making REALLY good progress. When I got cut off, I hit the cement wall with the passenger side of the nose of the car sliding to the right at about 70 mph...so the frame rail was bent right at the crumple zone in front of the core support.

Anyways, here are some progress pics...took some arguing with the insurance company to get the OEM nose, but I got it (have to pay a little bit of the difference in cost myself, but not too much).

You can see the repair work to the passenger side frame rail, what I think is also cool, there were some minor surface rust areas on the core support before, and the guy fixing it was very excited today to show me he was repairing them for me, I couldn't thank him enough, the frame rail looks perfect up close (very very straight, the crumple zone even looks like it took it's original shape properly), so I'm confident the nose will fit right when it goes back on. The yellow writing on the drivers fender says "fender out"...the inner fender over there bent out because the core support was shifted over...they were able to straighten all of it without cutting and welding, when the hood was down I noted that the fenders lined up with it perfectly.

I've had bad luck with accidents this past year...but I've had good luck with body shops repairing it for me...lets hope I can keep the car safe from now on.
Attached Thumbnails Rear quarter damage-imag0001.jpg   Rear quarter damage-imag0002.jpg   Rear quarter damage-imag0003.jpg   Rear quarter damage-imag0004.jpg  
Old 05-21-2009, 02:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry about your car. I got hit on the back passenger side

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear quarter damage