Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

fiberglass hood install

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fiberglass hood install

Hey all searched and didnt find any write ups for aftermarket hood installs. I should be getting my VFN 4 inch cowl next week and I would like to see what all is involved in their installation.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Launching!

From what I've read, VFN will include installation instructions with the hood. They're a member here, PM them if you have questions.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know but Id like to see what some other peoples experiences were, and If there are any tips or tricks/ things to look out for or other techniques or tools that come in handy. I like to know a little bit about a project before I start you know what Im saying?
Old 09-21-2008, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ZMONSTER!
I like to know a little bit about a project before I start you know what Im saying?
Of course. Best of luck to ya man, I've heard it's a PITA. Which hood did you get??
Old 09-21-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just unbolt the old one and put the new one on line it up with the hold and tighten it down but dont over tigthen thought. Unless it's a liftoff then you need hood pins this that and the other.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:47 AM
Teching In

I installed mine from DG motorsports the zl1 big block hood, what I learned the factory adjustments just suc. So to over come that, on both hinges where the mounting point is on the fender has 3 bolt points. Where the nuts are 15mm I drilled those holes to half inch which gave me more forward and reward pitch. The front latch you can use that for some front downward adjustment. The 4 rubber bumpers on the new hood all were to high even when ran all the way down, did some trimming of material to fit right. On the pass. side the main wire harness from the computer which runs on top of the wheel well, it was hitting the bottom of the hood badly, moved it to the other side of the hood strut. The way I discovered all the points of things pushing against the bottom of the hood I placed a sheet of news paper on key areas and shut the hood, if I could move the paper I felt the clearance was good, however if it would not budge and tore were where I made adjustments. Remove the hood latch catch on the bottom of the hood, this way you can lay it down without playing with unlatching the hood all the time. One last item with the fiberglass hood the hood latch spring felt real stiff to close the hood, what I did and of course your call, I removed the latch assembly, you will notice on the bottom there are 4 tabs which retain the spring, I opened those tabs, removed the spring and cut off 1 inch of it replaced the spring in the retainer, added a stainless steel washer on the bottom of the spring to level it and pressed the tabs shut. This thing now closes much easier. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://ltxtech.com/forums/dynamics/s...hp?e=8&catid=4
Old 09-22-2008, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow that makes it seem pretty simple, thanks!
cool site too, ive always liked the ol' LT1 cars.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

My husband put the sunoco hood on in no time. (Maybe it helped that he's a painter/prepper/body repair man?) LOL It didn't seem to be to much of a pain.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok well the hood has been on for a while, and honestly it was super easy to install and align(sp?), but of course there is one problem. The passengers side up near the windshield (the 'ear') where it comes to a point sits about a quarter of an inch higher than the fender, how oes one adjust that?
Old 10-03-2008, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

ttt...
Old 01-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Teching In

in the install instructions it says you need to oval out the holes on the bracket that mounts to the hood. I can take some pics of this when i go home sometime this week
Old 01-18-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Regular

my vfn hood took 10 mins to put on and line up helps that i do it everyday

Quick Reply: fiberglass hood install