Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Hit a truck fender on freeway

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Hit a truck fender on freeway

So I'm going to Costco to grab some groceries, and I let my girl drive. We had just snagged two energy drinks at a local AMPM and we get the on the freeway.

We merge onto the freeway and I notice that the cars ahead are swerving to avoid something. From my position in the passenger seat, I can see that the object they're avoiding is half of a F-150 chrome fender. I immediately yell "LEFT LANE!", but unfortunately there was a truck beside us, and it would of been probably more dangerous to even brake and swerve behind him. So she brakes and we hit it pretty much head on between the wheels.

We can hear that it got caught underneath the car as it's making a god-awful scraping sound. We pull over to the side of the road and I get out to assess the damage. To my surprise it didn't bust the bumper anywhere, just scrapped the hell out of it. It was lodged pretty good underneath the steering rack. I pull it out, and suppress the urge to chuck the fender at a nearby tree. I checked as best I could under the car, and it looks like everything is fine. Just some scrapes and cuts.

It could of been a lot worse (we or someone else could of gotten hurt), but it just sucks cause it really wouldn't be worth it to get insurance to pay for it ($1000 comp deductible). And I'm not mad at her, as there really wasn't anything she could do, but if I see a F-150 with half a bumper driving around town, that's a different story.

It's "funny" that it even happened because just before we left our apartment, I was teasing her about this time (I call it the Outback Steakhouse incident) when she had forgotten to apply the p-brake and leave the car in gear.

The paint just flakes right off in the last photo.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:13 PM
Launching!

Damn dude, that looks bad.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:23 PM
Staging Lane

Ugg, I know. Every time I look at it, it seems to get worse.
Heh, when I first saw the fender, it wasn't bent. The truck that had dropped it must of just lost it before we hit it. If I were driving, I would of speed up to the guy and chucked it at him.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

No, bad would have been if the airbags went off.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chevroletfreak
No, bad would have been if the airbags went off.
Wow, I didn't even think about that. The sensor could of totally gone off. Yeah, that definitely would of been bad!
Old 09-22-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

a good body shop guy should be able to repair and blend that together especially since its the lower part of the car