Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Is Black over Red paint a good Idea?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 03:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Is Black over Red paint a good Idea?

I have a red formula that I would like to paint black.Ive always like black cars,but some people have told me its pretty hard to do a Black over Red paint job.So my question to the pro's.Why is it a more of hassle?Is it because of the Red bleeding through the paint deal?
Old 10-03-2008, 05:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Red underneath will not cause the black to cover poorly. I think they may have gotten it backwards. Red is VERY transparent whereas black isn't....
Old 10-03-2008, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just letting you know, i own a black car, thing is a bitch to keep clean, you wash/wax/buff the car and 5 mins later you can see the dust on it. It shines up the best, but is a **** to keep clean.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

spraying it black won't be any harder than any color change, to mee seems more work than it's worth to make it just like one you could have bought, do something to add some character to it or leave it be.. Maybe leave it red and do some side graphics, or 2-tone.. whatever you like. i dunno..

and yes black is a pita to keep clean.. I HATE black cars for a personal ride.. to much hassle for me..

now i do have to say a fresh black paint job is one of the best looking paint jobs you can do, but keeping it that way will be a chore.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RobZ
I have a red formula that I would like to paint black.Ive always like black cars,but some people have told me its pretty hard to do a Black over Red paint job.So my question to the pro's.Why is it a more of hassle?Is it because of the Red bleeding through the paint deal?

paint is paint, it covers the same, the paint wont bleed through, typically a car being repainted needs minor bodywork anyway, thus the car is going to need sealer anyway. Ive never had a problem, and the paint jobs I did had 10+ colors involved.

As for hassle, the door jambs and engine compartment are where youre going to get nailed. The car needs to look like it was stock, red jambs and a red engine compartment on a black car looks ghetto. So thats where the bill portion of the bill comes from.

Also, a thought for my fellow black car owners. Im going to be knocking the shine down on my ctsv and shooting a little fire red pearl in the clear. Make the bodylines glint a little, ya know? This will work with any pearl (sparkle pearls work better), kameleon colors also look good on a full body ghost, just for the love of god, dont use green to purple to brown. That color is overplayed to the max.

Another thought, tossing flattener in the clear on a black car (maybe a 15%-25%) reduction in gloss and youve got yourself a semi gloss stealth fighter. (pearl underneath flattened clear = satin sheet colors, pretty dope)

As you can tell, I dont like stock much...

Last edited by Cts-Voodoo; 10-04-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

I went red to black on my trans-am, and I have been really happy with it. I had everything sprayed but the engine bay, and when i built the motor, we rattle canned it black and it looks fine. Like others have said, there shouldn;t be any problems with it. You will, however, have little places to touch up, like around the weather stripping for the windows. At certain angles you can still see a little red.

+1 to it being a PITA to keep clean.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Launching!

like everyone says black can't be beat when its clean but 2 seconds afterward you start seeing the dust and **** that lands on it...i'd say if its a show car black is it. but if not go with the side graphics and 2 tone..

Quick Reply: Is Black over Red paint a good Idea?