Notices
Parts Classifieds This an archive of the older parts classifieds, please create a new listing in our Marketplace.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price:

Part Fits:

Location (State):

Item Condition:

Engine:

LS Engine?:

Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Price:

Mileage:

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (State):

Color:

Transmission:

Drivetrain:

LS Engine?:

MTI Stage2R heads (PIC HEAVY)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 04:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default MTI Stage2R heads (PIC HEAVY)

Category: Engine - Intake/Fuel
Price: $475
Part Fits: 93-02 Chevrolet Camaro, 93-02 Pontiac Firebird, Corvette
Location (State): TN
Item Condition: Brand New
Shipping Information: Item Can be Shipped
Engine: LS1/LS6
LS Engine?: Fits LS Engine

I purchased these heads new in late 2001 as part of a H/C (no intake options in 01 ) package from MTI for my 2000 SS M6. With a small MTI C1 cam (222/222 .566/.566 on 112) I dynoed 420/390 hp/tq with just a HPP3 handheld tuner. This is with a full length exhaust. My car went a best of 11.23 @ 122.78 riding the rev-limiter the last 50-60' before the trap. Damn HPP would only give me a 6600 rpm limit. Race weight was a fairly portly 3500lbs. These are 853 castings.

MTI website description of the heads:
Stage 2R Cylinder Heads
Intake and exhaust ports are fully maximized for flow volume, and port velocity. New hardened intake and exhaust seats are installed along with bronze valve guides, and custom 8mm one piece stainless steel valves measuring 2.055" on the intake, and 1.60" on the exhaust. High performance dual valve springs coupled with our custom lightweight titanium retainers and specially machined spring cups offer the most stable, and reliable valve train.

The heads came off in early 2004 and were sent back to MTI to check them out. They were disassembled, cleaned, springs tested and re-assembled. Fast forward to 2008. I spun a couple of bearings in my stock short block and the car sat until 2010. I replaced my factory short block and was planning on using these heads on my 402 until I could afford to upgrade. I sent the heads off to TEA to freshen up, but my budget suddenly increased and I decided to go ahead and upgrade to heads made for a 4.00" bore. TEA performed the following work on the heads:

I had them flowed while at TEA. Flow numbers are as follows:

The only known issue with these heads are two small erosion spots at the valve seats in a couple of the chambers. I found these in 2004 when pulled the heads to send to MTI. They took a look at the spots and did not feel it was a problem. I will say that after many miles that there was never and issue with coolant or detonation. Two shops have told me that these should not be a problem and this has been true since I noticed them in 2004. I just wanted to fully disclose the condition of these heads as the spots are hard to see. These heads were ~$2300 new.

EDIT: I had forgotten that I had to have a threaded insert installed in one of the spark plug holes. This was back in late 02 I believe and work flawlessly since. Both shops I've have the head at have not noticed the insert until I mention it.

Just a note. The head/cam package came with .030" shims to correct the valve train geometry and used 7.40" pushrods and stock rockers with very little valve train noise. I don't think I still have all of the shims, but they are easy to find.

Price: $475 plus shipping.
All the times that I have shipped heads it was never more than $30. Usually closer to $25. The heads will be well packed in the boxes that TEA shipped them to me in. No recycled crap packaging like the guy that shipped me the used PRC 237s in. One box, one piece of brown paper. They banged together all the way from IL.

EDIT: Just quoted shipping to KS. DAMN shipping has gone up. Cheapest i could find was ~35.00. Just wanted to correct my statement early on shipping costs,

Last edited by 1madss; 03-08-2012 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Added spark plug threaded insert info/updated shipping costs
Old 03-08-2012, 04:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a flippin deal!!! Wish this was higher on my priority list!!!
Old 03-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

Bump for a stand up guy and a great deal for someone. Good luck on your build Mark.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:52 PM
TECH Resident

Jim, - Thanks for the kind words. good to hear from you again.

Vince - SI at Bradenton. Those were goooood times indeed.

BTW: PMs responded.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

Heads are sold pending funds. If something changes I will contact the next in line.

Thanks everybody for your interest.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:55 PM
9 Second Club

money sent
Old 03-08-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

SOLD!

They made it all of three hours. It's time for a