Notices

WTT: LS1 for an LQ4 motor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTT: LS1 for an LQ4 motor?

Alright, here is the deal. I started my first project car 6 months ago, a Datsun 240z with a 3rd gen motor. I don't have any complaints as far as doing the project, it's been fun as hell and very exciting seeing things come together. When the project was still in the planning phase my friend's dad gave me a good deal on a LQ4 short block with rotating assembly and the 317 heads. After going along further in the project I've run into a bump or two.

I've acquired other necessary parts for the build as I've gone along, many of them from various members on this board. I'm sure any of them could vouch for me that I'm a good guy to deal with. I would post this in the buy/sell forum but I don't have the required posts. I ask that the mods can overlook this problem or kindly transfer my thread into the buy/sell area. (I would greatly appreciate it.)

The LQ4 needs to be rebuilt, and before I would take it to a machine shop, I acquired parts just in case they informed me that they were bad. Currently, I have:

-LQ4 block/rotating assembly with 5,000 miles on it
-8 extra stock rods and pistons with 22,000 miles on them
-15 stock injectors (Picked up an extra eight for cheap, and never could find the 16th)
-stock truck intake manifold
-317 heads with everything
-pushrods
-pan
-camshaft

All this engine lacks is coils, pcm, harness, throttle body, and whatever goes with it.

I'm sure many people want to know why. Firstly, I've decided I want this to be a road course car and my daily driver. Not exactly the ideal for a iron small block (the road course part). And second, I just can't seem to make myself take it to a machine shop. I don't know what it is, I think I just don't trust them. And I'll be damned if I trust myself to make this motor. So I find myself kind of stuck in a rut. A 240z being all prepped and worked on sitting next to a LQ4 that I just don't feel good about using. It's a hundred pounds I don't need in the front. I also find myself tight on cash. I've called every machine shop in the area and they say to rebuilt the block and assemble is going to run me 500 to 1,500 dollars. When I have maybe 500 bucks a month going at this project, that's not too hopeful to me.

What I am looking for is a mid-low mile ls1 without the throttle body, intake, computer, or harness harness. You can keep all those and use them on the lq4/sell them whatever. I just feel like nothing is getting done and an engine that is two steps away from running would make me feel so much better than one that is a 1/4 mile away from running. Someone around central California would be preforable. I am willing to drive to you to make the swap. Honestly, I don't know what everything I have is worth. I've had someone tell me that my disassembled LQ4 isn't worth 1,000 bucks. I've also been told that I should have no problem finding someone who wants an iron LQ4 and is willing to swap.

Any help would I would be truly grateful for. PM me or post a reply. If you think I'm an idiot wanting a mid-low mile LS1 for my LQ4 please kindly post that and let me know.

Good day.

- Top Secret

*Edit*

I would also be interested in trading for a 1st gen iron block if anyone has one.

Last edited by Top Secret; 01-29-2007 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

I guess I had too much text. Here is the short version:

LQ4 w/ extra stuff that needs new rings bearings for working ls1 with mid-low miles. I pick up.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think anyone is going to trade a good running ls1 for a lq4 that needs rebuilt, extra part arnt worth much
Old 01-30-2007, 07:47 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah. I'm not exactly looking for a new motor though. Not to mention the block only has 5,000 miles for it. Seems like an ok deal to me. But then again, I don't know a lot in terms of value.

I guess I'll just pay the 500 to have it rebuilt.