Notices

Anybody have any OE Auburn Posi parts laying around from a left over torched rear????

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 06:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody have any OE Auburn Posi parts laying around from a left over torched rear????

I'm close to trying to fix the rear on my 2000 SS, but on a super/very tight budget. I don't want to put any more into this POS than it needs to get it back up and going.

My Torsen is toast in the little 10 bolt. I got my hands on an OE Auburn posi to swap in. Problem is upon closer inspection the Auburn I have needs new spring retainers (cracks), and atleast one spider gear thrust washer (wear issue). Now, I know they sell service kits for these, but that cost is insane for what I'm trying to do here. I know people torch these rears without much problem so I guess I am hoping perhaps somebody torched the ring and pinion gears, but had some of the Auburn posi parts laying around taking up space.

Let me know, really need to address this shortly. I just need the spring retainer plates, and really only one thrust washer.

Thanks for any help...........
Old 05-28-2008, 06:58 PM
12 Second Club

this guy had one last time i talked to him proelky
Old 06-16-2008, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

I still have the unit and a pair of 4 channel Moser axles ready to go...The unit still has the 3.42 ring gear attached.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have one but one of the spider gears broke a tooth or two.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by proelky
I still have the unit and a pair of 4 channel Moser axles ready to go...The unit still has the 3.42 ring gear attached.
Whats the 4 channel mean again? Is that for traction control cars? I also, already have the unit, and I already have 3.42's that I may have up forsale shortly.

Incidently, I was just looking for a couple of little parts to save an Auburn I already have to replace the Torsen carrier. Really wasn't looking to sink anymore than the bare minimum into this little dinky 10 bolt.

I called a local place, then contacted several that sell stuff on ebay. I had one guy say sure I've got what you need for 50 bucks. I was like, do you realize I could get the whole Pro series Spring Retainer service kit for not much more than that, and I'd be upgrading with brand new parts. Or, I've even seen the whole Auburn LS carriers forsale for 50 bucks. You kidding, I asked. Then, fortunately I had somebody who didn't think they had a bag full of gold to sell me contact me and ask for me to clarify what I needed. I said, just the two retainer plates, and a little thrust washer. Dude said, "How's about 15 bucks shipped to your door?". I said , sounds more like it. So, I've got the parts I should need to fix this thing. Just need the time now to pull the Torsen out and pop the new Auburn unit in. With perhaps a re-gear from the current 3.42's as well.

If those axles would work for me, I might have some slight interest in those. Or, if unit you have is an Auburn Pro series, I might have slight interest there.

Talk later.........thanks
Old 06-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BlackSS2001
I have one but one of the spider gears broke a tooth or two.
Thanks, but it looks like I've hopfully already received the little parts I need to rebuild the one I already have. Good thing too because the Torsen still in my car is ready to come apart at any time I'd guess.

Shipping on yours would probably cost what it's worth at this point. However, if you've pulled the spring pack out of it (which lets the whole thing come apart), and inspected all the parts and it truely only needs the two smaller spider gears replaced you shouldn't have much more trouble than I did finding somebody willing to sell just the two spider gears. There is a market for this little 10 bolt stuff on ebay with the S10 crowd. Stuffs not worth much, but if useable.....it can be sold.

If I were you, that's probably what I'd do, depending.

PM me if it's a freebie. Depending on shipping cost I'd perhaps take it hoping I could fix it as mentioned above.

Thanks much........

Quick Reply: Anybody have any OE Auburn Posi parts laying around from a left over torched rear????