Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions please! fried my PCM!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Opinions please! fried my PCM!

My battery went dead so I put my own battery charger on my car(isolated/floating non pulsating DC).While charging I had the bright idea to upload a program to my car's PCM while I wait, While uploading one of my chargers alligator clips came off the battery terminal and killed all power to my car! (I know I't was kind of reckless of me to upload a program while charging.)I reconnected power and tried to see if the process would finish but would not,I turned off the key and ended the program in my computer, I turned the key back on,opend the program and attempted to upload the program again but still my computer would not comunicate with my PCM.I tried to start the car and now the car wont start, I was wondering what your opinions are of what I should do,my car is under warranty but I really dont want the dealer to see my mods,should I try to get a PCM from the junkyard?How much is a new PCM?do you think I can have my PCM reflashed? I also hear that the replacment PCM's can only be reflashed only a few times.sorry this Is so long but I need HEEEELPPP PLEASSSE!
Old 09-13-2003, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Opinions please! fried my PCM!

I also tried a search but came up with nothing.
Old 09-14-2003, 01:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

new pcm is like 150 from valvegod, but you'll need to get it flashed...

I lost connectivity when programming my PCM last year, I bought a spare PCM and drove the car into the dealership (borrowed a friends spare PCM already flashed) and had them flash both PCMs... they asked me why i needed this done and told them I got a deal on PCMs and needed them flashed so I could sell them... they reflashed both for like 50 bux a pop.

Car was still under warranty at the time...

Old 09-14-2003, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanx for the reply horist,Do you need to have the PCM in the car to be reflashed? The reason I ask is I dont want the dealer to see my mods. And also what are the chances I'll need another PCM licence from carputing? anyone?
Old 09-15-2003, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

If they reflash it with your VIN, your LS1 Edit license will still be valid for that PCM.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if they reflash your PCM your license will be fine... ls1 edit is PCM locked (not VIN locked... you can have 2 PCMs flashed w/same VIN and it willonly work on the one it's licensed for... actually uses something like a PCM ID).

Yes the PCM must be in your car to have it flashed (or if you have another friend w/a 99+ car you can have your friend go in w/your PCM, they'll hookup that PCM and flash it then put his stocker back in... then you can reflash the entire PCM to your 01 tune)
Old 09-15-2003, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thax for all the info guys! I'm going to try to get my PCM flashed in my friends 00 SS. Hope it still works .