Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Efilive geniuses input greatly appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Efilive geniuses input greatly appreciated

Hey fellas, I just got my 408 installed in place of the 346. For the record I have a vindicator camshaft and pt4000 stall and an approximate cr of 11.2 to 1. I have the desired idle airflow and ve tables pretty well under wraps and am very satisfied with the results from 0 rpms to 4500rpms for driveability, as I haven't really opened up the engine past that for tuning due to the fact I'm still breaking it in. I use a flashscan v2 and was just wondering how the best way to go about adjusting the timing for maximum results. Through my initial data logging the most knock retard I had was 3.2 deg. I'm pretty new to Efilive so be gentle. Thanks for all your help and time.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Most people will tell you that the safest way to construct a spark table above 4500 rpm's would be on a dyno.

While a somewhat obvious suggestion, I would simply load up a very conservative spark map using the EFILive tune file repository found in the LS1Tech.com PCM stickies.

Perhaps someone more familiar with your engine and transmission combo can comment, but a lot of us in the 5.7L department will simply load up a stock 2002 ZO6 spark table for beginners.

It's a nice conservative timing curve, especially for higher compression engines.

You will get a lot of differing opinions concerning advancing timing to the point of knock/ping. May not be the smartest way to do it, but I wouldn't want any 'real' knock in an engine at the type of rpm's you are talking about.

Short of a dyno, load up a conservative timing curve, get your wideband and start logging..

Hope that helps. Good luck.

..WeathermanShawn..
Old 11-13-2008, 09:08 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most of your KR is going to occur from 4-5000 anyways. As Shawn stated, start conservative, and make baby steps.
May want to soften the sensitivity of them too.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Cool, I'll definetly take that into consideration. (I would like to see what it puts down at the wheels anyway, It's alot more poop than the 346 had) I was thinking about switching to like a cos2 or 3 to try the dual adaptive spark control, bad idea? good idea? first hand experience?