Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the proper way to raise shift points in an auto

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default What's the proper way to raise shift points in an auto

A friend of mine put a cam in his 2000 TA and asked me to help him get it running for him via LS1 Edit.

So I made a few changes so the car would start up ok and added a tad more timing.

I raised the rev limiter up to 6600 RPM's but how do you raise the shift point up? Is it by RPM, MPH or both?

What tables do you do this in?

I have to get these set right so we can do some dyno tuning...

Thanks in advance...

Bill
Old 09-21-2003, 07:41 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: What's the proper way to raise shift points in an auto

MPH and RPM Threshold conditions both must be met for the shift to occur. To make only one condition the one I have to track / modify, I drop the MPH threshold far enough that I am really shifting by RPMs.
Old 09-21-2003, 07:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To answer your other question, you don't do the WOT shift points in a table. Go to Trans Calibration, A4 Shift Speed, Norm Shift MPH and RPM frame to modify the WOT shift points.

I tend to set part throttle shift points (Normal Mode Shift Speed table) where the highest MPH matches what I have set for the MPH Thresholds. The curve you use for this table is more a matter of taste for how you want the shifts to occur while cruising at part throttle.

With an automatic, since you are going to dyno in 3rd gear, you will need a special dyno LS1 file where you set the Downshift 3-2 to about 10 MPH and the table values across the board for the 3-2 shift at 10 MPH. Don't forget to verify that you hit the APPLY button when you do this... even reopen your dyno file and check it is really changed. I dyno'd before when it downshifted to 2nd.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Could you explain more? How do you know aht MPH to put in?

Anyone have a LS1 Edit file I can look at that has their engine rev limiter set to 6,600 RPM's, if so please email it to me: wwright3@insight.rr.com

Thanks,

Bill