PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

volumetric eff cause idle/rpm surge?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default volumetric eff cause idle/rpm surge?

here's the list of mods and the issue im dealing with.

370ci
big cam
42#'s
IFR tuned, for the injectors,
stock timing,
no intake leaks,
stock MAF and tables
PE @ 114%
basic edit stuff, no maf/fuel map/other major changes. mostly stock tune w/ small tweaks to make it run.

when i swapped LS6 for the weiand/ling intake, (more air?) the car idled straight up to 3k and sat there for ~20 seconds. now as im coming up on stops, i ride the clutch to a stop and the motor sticks at 2k until it sits for hm.. 5-10 seconds? or until i get all the way on the brakes. wierd.. anyway i was thinkin this might be a mechanical issue, vacc leak TB idle setting, ect.. but if i let the car idle by itself it would surge to 2k for almost 10 seconds and then return to idle @1k.

my question is, would changing up the VE table take care of this? thoughts? im all out of cookies here..
Old 09-24-2003, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

Location: Richmond, VA Where fast cars, well......are hard to come by.
Default Re: volumetric eff cause idle/rpm surge?

Have you watched the iac postion while it's doing this? Sounds kinda vacuum related. Also check posts on the p/n delay table and the idle air table.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

havent even had a chance to mess with it since i swapped intakes. i'll check the IAC. what are you abbreviating p/n for?
Old 09-24-2003, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

havent even had a chance to mess with it since i swapped intakes. i'll check the IAC. what are you abbreviating p/n for?
P/N -Park and Neutral.
Look in Throttle Follower tables on the Fuel Tab. Eng Cal -. Fuel-. Throttle Followers. Here are three NoGo threads that should have your answer NoGo NoGo 2 NoGo 3
Basically establish a decent idle with IAC and Idle Air (Running Airflow).
Then adjust decay to reduce the High RPM issue as you stop.This is a decrease in values in the decay tables.
Hope this helps some.
joel
Old 09-24-2003, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

Joel: thank you.
Old 09-24-2003, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

Joel: thank you.
you're Welcome.
OOPS -Not under the Fuel Tab...Look under the Idle + Limiters tab.
Old 09-24-2003, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

ok so one more question since i've got your attention Joel. (had to do it..)

having read through that entire Kevin (noGo)/Chris Bennight's VE thread and now after the intense migrane passed, im curious as to how to calculate the VE scalar for my setup. (how to get the variables the formula implies) i assuming that the formula actually works and is worth a shot, but what values of the variables listed do you plug in? (i'd take this to PM's but i think it's good info for everyone.)

VE = (MAFFlow * (Temp + 273.15) / (Displacement * RPM * MAP) * 212544)* 30

Maf flow @ what Rpm? what temp? what MAP? does this make sense? im not a math person in the least, but if i can make this work better, thats all im looking for. laymens terms basically. posting this stuff just makes me look like i know what im talking about. tuning wise anyway...
Old 09-24-2003, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

Okay, I'd say we're all in the same boat. I'm no ChrisB or NoGo And I hail them seriously - they've helped me Big Time. NoGo especially.
We need to look at the Main VE table. Basically we have a Lookup table of MAP (kPa) versus RPM. The Temp is our Intake Air Temp entered as Celsius*( He's adding the 273* to it to convert to Kelvin/Absolute degrees - but it's not important).
So when we scan we'll come up with many values for a given RPM and MAP at similar IATs.Then the equation is used to give us the value in each cell.So at 1200RPM and MAP=55 we should get a value of around "1501", MAP=50 ->1469 ...2000F Body VE table.
The values are the numbers in the corresponding cells in the VE table.
I hope this helps some.
joel

Old 09-24-2003, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so do we then modify the tables to the values we calculate based on the datalogging?
Old 09-24-2003, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

so do we then modify the tables to the values we calculate based on the datalogging?
Heath, yes. The greater the number of MAP and RPM values (for a given MAP or RPM) the better. Nogo says it works for him - very well.
joel
Old 09-24-2003, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks binks, time to gathe more data
Old 09-25-2003, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

Okay, I'd say we're all in the same boat. I'm no ChrisB or NoGo And I hail them seriously - they've helped me Big Time. NoGo especially.
We need to look at the Main VE table. Basically we have a Lookup table of MAP (kPa) versus RPM. The Temp is our Intake Air Temp entered as Celsius*( He's adding the 273* to it to convert to Kelvin/Absolute degrees - but it's not important). {sure it is, thats why he did it.}
So when we scan we'll come up with many values for a given RPM and MAP at similar IATs. Then the equation is used to give us the value in each cell.
mk, i followed you until here. basically you plug in these numbers for each and every cell? and it's not a one time formula? i think i can handle that, but based off of what info? ATAP? EFi-live? pcm tables? i think i follow, it's just a little confusing w/o this stuf in front of me.

So at 1200RPM and MAP=55 we should get a value of around "1501", MAP=50 ->1469 ...2000F Body VE table.
SOMONE MAKE AN EXCEL FILE FOR THIS!!!!

thanks for your time Joel. i think im getting it, but im a numbskull when it comes to this stuff. easier than physically turning screws on a carb, but much more complex on my brain. we'll get it fingered out.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

The Temp is our Intake Air Temp entered as Celsius*( He's adding the 273* to it to convert to Kelvin/Absolute degrees - but it's not important). {sure it is, thats why he did it.}

Sorry, I didn't mean that it wasn't important to the equation. I meant it wasn't important that we go into the difference between Kelvin and Celsius Temps.
We don't need an Excel file. You can use the Calculated PID described in the VE Tune thread and EFILive will calculate this for us at MAP and RPMs.....much easier.
So at 1200RPM and MAP=55 we should get a value of around "1501", MAP=50 ->1469 ...2000F Body VE table.

This is from a VE table for an FBody, you would enter the new values for the appropriate MAP and RPM.
joel

Old 09-25-2003, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

mmmhmm... ;D
Old 09-25-2003, 11:30 AM
11 Second Club

i had the same thing on my holley intake and it was a vacume leak. as soon as you unplug the iac, it went to 3000 rpm's.

it was the fuel vapor line leaking. fixed it and now it runs great.